Thread: 70" CRC Outerlimits Electric Build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 70" CRC Outerlimits Electric Build

Hi all,

Being a long time RC hobbyist/enthusiast, I've built many custom vehicles over the years. However, I have yet to do a boat build. And I've decided it's time to do so.

So, after a couple months of research, lots of reading, and searching around, I decided on the basic goals I wanted for this project, and started gathering some of it up. My basic goals include: large scale build, electric (utilizing electronics I already have), single prop setup, built for fun/entertainment (not for racing), and roughly 50-60mph speed goal.

I started with what seemed to be the most obvious component to me, the hull. Being located in IL, I found Central RC Marine, only about an hour and a half from where I live. Since I already have most of the electronics I decided I wanted to use for this build, I had something to base my hull decision off of. After meeting the man behind Central RC Marine, choosing my hull, and speaking with him for a while, I placed an order through OSE for many of the smaller components needed for the build: stinger strut, flex shaft, rudder assembly, trim tabs, turn fins, motor coupler, etc. He suggested SpeedMaster for many of these products, and I have to say I believe his recommendation was quite good, as their products seem to be of great quality, and very popular. Also, through browsing of the forums here, I found several mentions of DrProps. I looked him up and after speaking with him in depth about my build, he suggested a prop, which I have purchased and is currently in transit. I loved the idea of a stainless prop that comes ready to go, sharpened, balanced and polished. So that is what I went with, a 62mm dia 3-blade 1.4 pitch propeller.

Being a first time boat builder, there was a lot for me to learn, just to make it this far. And there is definitely a lot left for me to learn as I get further into the build. I've learned just enough to be dangerous in the ways of purchasing what I need to get started. I'm sure I have made some choices already that some might have done differently, but I'm here to learn and take constructive criticism. I am hoping some of you more seasoned builders can offer some advice/suggestions along the way as I build this thing.

I will update here as I make progress. Hoping to have some fun on the water with this thing before the summer season has passed

IMG_20190728_194150.jpgIMG_20190728_194043.jpg
    Last edited by WheelMan; 08-02-2019 at 09:25 AM.
    WheelMan Designz - Custom RC Creations