Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 70" CRC Outerlimits Electric Build

A longer setback on the rudder mount can bring stability to a hull by keeping the bow down, kind of like trim tabs without the drag. As for the actual placement of the rudder in relation to the prop, I have never found a definitive answer. Some small v-bottom boats prefer it closer to the hull, inline with the drive dog, others handle better behind the prop. I don't race my boats, so my only real concern on placement is preventing interference between the rudder and prop, including bent rudders after a crash. Nearly every cat I own has the rudder behind the props, single or twin. Most of my V-bottoms are even or behind.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Nice BIG offshore, perfect for a twin setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfa Spirit View Post
    Nice BIG offshore, perfect for a twin setup.
    That's the plan for it's replacement! Already gathering up the pieces.
    WheelMan Designz - Custom RC Creations

Got a quick question....what did you use for flotation in the front hull space (very big and open)? I just bought their 50" mono hull from Central RC Marine. Also, never had a mono hull...how long should the turn fins be?

Thanks, Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by EddieM41 View Post
    Got a quick question....what did you use for flotation in the front hull space (very big and open)? I just bought their 50" mono hull from Central RC Marine. Also, never had a mono hull...how long should the turn fins be?

Thanks, Eddie
    I actually just used sections of pool noodles in the nose for flotation, in case of a crash where it's taking on water.

Rick (from CRC) actually told me when I picked up my hull that turn fins are not necessary on the 70" hull. So not 100% sure if the 50" would need them either. He did recommend the 4" trim tabs though. I am going to try this next build without the turn fins and see how it goes. I'm no expert boat builder by any means, but I think the real small boats benefit from turn fins more than the larger boats.
    WheelMan Designz - Custom RC Creations

Thanks for the information. I was going to use noodles, just wondered if their was anything new and different out there. I have turn fins on mine, not sure that I need them. haven't had a mono hull before of this size. Getting ready to run it next week.

Considering that hull is much larger than 'normal', I have a better suggestion than using "pool noodles". Many art supply stores should carry larger diameter times, and blocks (of various sizes), of the same material.

Search online, and you should find numerous options. What you are looking for is polyethylene foam. It is made in several different weights, from 1.7lb to 9lb ("pool noodles" are typically made from 2.2lb). One really good source is the Foam Factory - www.foambymail.com - and look under Commercial ? Closed-Cell Foam ? Polyethylene Foam. You can also use Cross-Link Polyethylene (available up to 4" thick), which is what's used in floatation devices approved by the Coast Guard.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Thanks for the information!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EddieM41 View Post
    Thanks for the information!!!
    You're most welcome. One of the great things about RC...all aspects of RC...is that those of us who are new (ok, I'm not new to RC, but I'm still fairly new to FE) can learn a lot from those who've been involved for many years, but, at the same time, sometimes, those of us who are new can provide info to those who've been in the hobby for many years. I like to think of it as a "helping hands" hobby. I'm constantly seeing (off-road) racers providing helpful info to even their most ardent competitors.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123