Thread: Motor Position and Ride Attitude

Default Motor Position and Ride Attitude

Picture two P monos identical in every way except for the position of the motor. One is way rearward with a very short almost outboard-length cable. The other has a more typical cable length of say 10". Hardware CG settings etc. all the same.

Does the location of the motor, or the point where the thrust is applied to the mass of the boat affect the way it will perform or its ride attitude significantly?

Properchopper-hope spelling is correct. Now he typed what Randy of BBY told him. Place motor toward the rear to cut down on friction and use lipo for correct cg. Now this leaves more room for proper set up. Ok but others say to put motor at cg and place lipos in saddle pack set with esc just ahead of motor. Now others will say place lipo in front of motor with esc on top of lipo if using a single lipo. Now one factor is if you have turn over type boat, set up is different where single lipo and esc are placed next to flood wall for turn over. Now so you have a choice and others will chime in. Main thing is the FUN part to make it a success.

My preference has always been low and rearward for minimum shaft bend and length, and therefore minimum friction and cable weight. But what I wonder about now is the motor location with respect to center of mass, and how the location where the actual thrust is being applied to the hull affects its performance?

For what it is worth, I’ve had an easier time setting up a boat with motor in the back than when I’ve had it forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike W View Post
    My preference has always been low and rearward for minimum shaft bend and length, and therefore minimum friction and cable weight. But what I wonder about now is the motor location with respect to center of mass, and how the location where the actual thrust is being applied to the hull affects its performance?

I'm still partial to the rearward placement of the motor for many of the above mentioned reasons BUT I still ponder the effect of placement - this often comes up when the discussion involves comparison of motor collett thrust vs. rear strut thrust. I'm open to hear thoughts on this..
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Think about it. If you mount an outboard on the transom, and take the thrust on the motor, will the boat’s transom jump out of the water when you give it full throttle?

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

look where Naviga boats have there motors positioned. c.o.g.