Thread: Large Electric motors vs Smaller Electric motors

Default Large Electric motors vs Smaller Electric motors

I have been fortunate to do some datalogs of 2 leopard 4092, and leopard 4074. I have done datalogs with other sizes too.

What I have learned is the rpm difference between the two size motors are very small underload. And I refer to loads over 150amps for a 2080kv on 4s and for the around 1750 ish kV around 115 plus amps on 4s.

Where the bigger motor stands out is the ability to discipate heat. And there can handle more input power without heating issues.

No Ship Sherlock.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

That isn’t much of a load. It is more than just heat issues. The larger motor will handle significantly more amps before the coils will become saturated. This means that the smaller motor will convert the excess amps into heat, while the larger will convert that energy into rotational power. Big difference, why do you think they make larger motors with larger coils instead of just making the smaller motors heavier to dissipate heat better?
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

lets say a 4092 with 2000 kvs will produce more torque than a 4072 with 2000 kv,s. bigger can more torque bigger prop.

I have an experience where a 3674 I found hold the rpm better than a 4092.

I did a datalogs with a 4092 2080kv on 4s with a x642. Ampdraw was between 67 to 107 amps, rpm was peaking at 26400 rpm.

What I found interesting is I have ran a 3674 2200 leopard and am seeing almost 4 mph faster in the same boat, same prop, same ESC and same battery as what I attained with the 4092 2080kv.

well firstly the 40 mm motor has 2080 kv,s as opposed to the 36 mm motor having 2200 kv,s this equals more motor rpms so with a suitable prop of a small size which won,t over load the 36 mm motor such as the 642, i would think the 2200 would provide higher rpms. the 4092 / 2080 will provide alot more torque than the 3674 / 2200 though.

And hull type and weight?
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Short can is better for high RPM

Long can is better for high torque

Quote Originally Posted by Alfa Spirit View Post
    Short can is better for high RPM

Long can is better for high torque
    LOL !!!!

You don't talk about motor diameter !!! Have you any experience about it ?
    And how about your soldering problem ? Does it solved ?
    On e day you will run on the water my friend... one day.

Motor diameter has a big part in electric motors. an example ; you wouldn,t us a 36 mm motor in a boat thats more suited to a 40 mm motor due to size and weight of the hull.

I actual have experience with diameter too.

I would say in my experience, the motor design have a bigger impact on performance than can size at least 3674 to 4092.

When I say design I mean 6 pole, 4 pole 6 slot, 4 pole 12 slot, 2 pole and so on.

My experience has shown me magnetic strength, and metal mass can not predict which motor will be faster.

I have experience that weaker magnets, and less metal can be more efficient and powerful in some cases.

But like I said larger motors can handle higher power input and discipate heat better, than the smaller motor.

After doing more data analysis with different size props.

What I have noticed is the bigger motor retains it rpm better when going to bigger props.

The same can be said about stronger magnets, they allow the motor to hold rpm better with bigger props.

See post #2....
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for