Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installation of the AquaCraft UL-1 water jacket

Default Installation of the AquaCraft UL-1 water jacket

Darin Jordan ask me to post this. Its Grims instruction manual for the AquaCraft UL-1 water jackets. Download the file for both text and pictures.

Installation of the UL-1 water jacket

Parts and simple tools include:

Block of wood, popsicle stick and oil.

• Drill a 13/64” (but any size large enough for the shaft will work) hole in a block of wood.. (old 123 blocks work good here too)
    • Slip the motor shaft into the hole and stand the motor on end.
    • Place oil near o ring
    • Coat o ring with oil
    • Slide one of the outer rings in place
    • Slide the lubricated O ring in place
    • Using your fingernails and or popsicle stick push the O ring in to place (Hint: This works best if you cross install the O ring (left, right, top, bottom, 45deg, opposing 45.. you get the picture.. also if using a popsicle stick rolling the stick works better then just pushing).
    • Slip the center barrel in place and using pressure screw the barrel in place. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Repeat lubrication of second O ring.
    • Slip the O ring over the motor
    • Install the second outer ring
    • Push the outer ring straight down then with a slight wiggle as needed to set the O ring.
    • Thread the outer ring in place. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Done
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

File will not open for me.

DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! because the threads are machined too loosely. End caps will literally slip off threads using very slight pressure! Aquacraft has sent me a free replacement... hopefully the threads fit more snug than the original.

Here guys... I converted the Word document to .pdf format, so most of you should be able to open it fine...

UL1 Water Jacket Installation Instructions
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

I think the real problem that many people are not understanding here is the machining on many of the the rings and barrel are poorly made or threaded. This would make it a NO FIT issue not matter what.

Good detail, Darin. At least you are kind enough to take the time to do it to help others understand. I think many are feeling like they are being called stupid when the real issue is the fit of the parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wohlt View Post
    I think the real problem that many people are not understanding here is the machining on many of the the rings and barrel are poorly made or threaded. This would make it a NO FIT issue not matter what.

Good detail, Darin. At least you are kind enough to take the time to do it to help others understand. I think many are feeling like they are being called stupid when the real issue is the fit of the parts.
    Mike Z. actually did the instructions and sent them to me to post. I haven't even taken my UL1 out of the box yet. I may have to this next week just to get it prepped for the season...

Looking very much forward to it!

A post from RRR,. it says it all. One very hurt designer.

Sorry Doug we had to edit this because of copyright issues. Steven
    Last edited by Flying Scotsman; 01-10-2009 at 01:05 PM.

Detox, I'm sorry but I have had to edit this. If Ray has an issue he would like to post on the OSE forum that's fine. And we can get it worked out here.
    Otherwise I don't think we have to drag bad feelings and problems from another forum board to the OSE or the other way around.

It doesn't do any of us any good to advance and rectify the problem.

Steven OSE.

Hey Guys... WHAT seals the threads on this water jacket?? The o-ring is stuffed up into the endcap, but is there anything sealing the threads? Is this something where a little teflon tape around the threads would fix the issue?

I guess I really need to get mine out of the box and take a look to see if it's possible that the threads are what are letting the water past...

If someone gets the chance, try wrapping the threads with a few wraps of teflon tape and see if the leaking issue goes away. Will also help to tighen the thread clearance as well... I'm guessing this will correct any issues if the rest of the installation is done per the instructions...
    Last edited by Darin Jordan; 01-10-2009 at 03:29 PM.

A quick easy way to beef up the turn fin just unbolt it from the hull, squirt some epoxy through the bolt holes with a hobby surrenge, reinstall the fin, and prop it up so the epoxy hardens over the fin area. Simple, quick and no holes to drill.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfoss1 View Post
    A quick easy way to beef up the turn fin just unbolt it from the hull, squirt some epoxy through the bolt holes with a hobby surrenge, reinstall the fin, and prop it up so the epoxy hardens over the fin area. Simple, quick and no holes to drill.

Good idea
    Steven Vaccaro

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman View Post
    A post from RRR,. it says it all. One very hurt designer.

Sorry Doug we had to edit this because of copyright issues. Steven
    Steven was correct to edit my copy of a post from Grim on another site, as it would have confringed on copyright issues.

The point is that I have been involved with new designs of equipment and have seen a prototype design which was flawless at a beta site have unseen problems when they went to true production. This not a fault of the designer, it is just what happens with mass production and not enough QC procedures. Grim your design is great and thank you for bringing a really superb RTR to the market and I think the lads at another site would state the same. Perceived production problems are not your fault and it is great that if there are problems that FE enthusiasts have some possible remedies

Douggie

Put an OSE cooling jacket on mine. Works well.

Doug
    Last edited by DPeterson; 02-02-2009 at 09:38 PM.

Doug,

PM me.. thanks

Grim

Tried to PM. It wouldn't go through.

E-Mail dairymasters@tds.net

Doug

just orderd the ose waterjacket, i like all the other ones i have from ose so why not give this one a try too. ose you guys are great to deal with your stuff is top notch along with prompt delievery. i did do the reinstall of the original waterjacket as per grims direction , the o rings were a bitch to set in place but when done NO LEAKS . next fix, will be to strenghtin the turn fin area, i will try the epoxy injection that one guy suggested before i get real brave and try Darins way. after that a killer paint job and wait for the weather to turn . keep you posted , again thanks everyone for all the help

[QUOTE=sewerpit; next fix, will be to strenghtin the turn fin area, i will try the epoxy injection that one guy suggested before i get real brave and try Darins way. [/QUOTE]

A double dose of bolt hole epoxy injection along with thin CA in the crack has held up nicely on my boat, and I've tortured it pretty well.

Tried the water jacket fix. Gave up. By the time I tried getting the o rings to stay in place a few times while tightening the caps, the o rings were damaged beyond use.

Dangit! OSE is out of their water jacket right now. Can't wait for him to get more in! I'm landlocked for the moment.

I should have more jackets tomorrow or Thursday.
    Steven Vaccaro

steve, great water jacket, got mine yesterday put in on in 1 minute, a little lube and it slid right on like a glove, no leaks and looks great ,best 20 dollar investment you can make guys. steve graet stuff...

Default Water jacket

Is it worth trying to fix the leak in the stock unit? ( mine is actually a flood )

Water is flowing out of the threads. Before trial and error with the teflon tape and grease, if it is a waste of effort, which replacement is the best??????????

Other than this, the boat is a tremendous value and more enjoyable than my SV27.

Don't bother! It's a POS! Get the one from Offshore Electrics made specially for the UL-1 motor! It works great!

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jarrett View Post
    Is it worth trying to fix the leak in the stock unit? ( mine is actually a flood )

Water is flowing out of the threads. Before trial and error with the teflon tape and grease, if it is a waste of effort, which replacement is the best??????????

Other than this, the boat is a tremendous value and more enjoyable than my SV27.

Default Pos

What a disappointment.

Default Water Jacket

Could not end the day defeated.

After putting the O rings in the freezer for a while I followed the instructions in the thread as well as added the teflon tape to the threads. I hope to test it early in the morning before leaving for work. I will still upgrade to the OSE as soon as it is available.

I feel bad for the designer of the boat as I am sure he suffers a great deal when something like this comes along. The attention to detail in the product shows how he strives for quality.

The boat was impressive before it filled with water.

I agree. I was pretty bummed over the water jacket problem also. Good luck!

Exclamation

I saw a thread over at RCU where Grim stated that the water jacket has been upgraded. The current boats that are going out come with the kit and all future boats will have it installed. The kit consists of new endbells and o-rings. Nothing was said about all the folks that had purchased boats prior to the upgrade though.
    IMPBA 20481S D-12

Man I sure wish I would have seen this thread about the water jacket issues on the UL-1. Just got mine yesterday and ran it today. Guess what, on the third lap around the pond it felt like I was losing steering signal at about 30 yards. I was wasn't sure though and went to make another lap. Half way around I surely knew something was wrong when the boat became uncontrolable!!! Not just the steering but the throtle too. Instantly let off the trigger and the boat kept going, even picked speed to I'd say half throtle. It kept going and going for about 100 yard across the pond. I knew the worst was coming and then BAM!!! Into the shore rocks. As I was in a full sprint like a parent running for their kid that just fell of the swings at the park, I could hear the motor and prop still humming away. Even after Iturned off the tranmitter? Finally after a minute, silence. When i got to my" what was a brand new beutiful UL-1" the front end was buried 3" deep in the grass imbankment. Bent turn fin, gashes and chips all over and bent rudder. when I open the hatch about 2 cups of water pord out. I was dumb founded!!!! WTF. Needless to say the receiver is shot and now I got a banged up POS. After reading this thread I know for sure why now. I will be contacting AQ tomorrow to find out how SOL I am and why in September of 2014 this problem still exist??? Dang this is the second AQ I have purchased and really love their boats but still this issue is BS. Especially now in 2014.
    Last edited by kkeilbachjr; 10-01-2014 at 07:47 PM.

Sorry to hear about your problem.
    This is not new, Properchopper had a good idea: the front endbell plate is sanded to round out the sharp corner as well as to allow some 'room" for the "o" rings to slip on. With that said, the "o" rings still get pinched and I use silicone bathroom sealers bought at hardware store.
    When you get your replacement, you need to "pressure check" the jacket. I use a syringe ( large plastic ones bought at woodworking shop for injecting glue) and disconnect the hose from the rudder pick up and insert the nozzle and pump water while another finger blocking the water exit hose. I apply quite a bit of pressure until i feel my finger at the exit hole is being "pushed" away.
    http://www.rockler.com/glue-bottles-...nd-applicators Either the 15cc or 30cc will do.
    Too many boats, not enough time...

Hi everyone just got my first RC Boat and new to RC Boats. When I got my boat I had to take the motor off to adjust the position of the stock water jacket due to the water lines blocking the hull area preventing any type of Lipo to fit. I'm concerned about the water jacket it was a pain to take off when I finally got it off i adjusted it and slid it back onto the motor. I had to mess around with it for quite a while to get the o ring to fit. Now once I got it screwed in it threaded on but felt like it wasn't lined up and after it was fully tight I felt the thread slip and catch. The water jackets nice and tight on the motor. I'm worried that I might have messed a thread up or something. Any help would be appreciated.

100_1670.jpg

John

Throw that damned stock water jacket away and buy an after market from OSE! The stock jacket is a total piece of crap and prone to leak, etc.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Which after market water jacket from OSE do you recommend?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast