Thread: External Ice water cooling system

Default External Ice water cooling system

Anyone thought of filling a cooler with ice water and running a small 12v pump with a y adapter to hook up to your pickups to cool the motor and ESC between packs and before a run? Curious of everyone's thoughts..

Quote Originally Posted by Redfusion900 View Post
    Anyone thought of filling a cooler with ice water and running a small 12v pump with a y adapter to hook up to your pickups to cool the motor and ESC between packs and before a run? Curious of everyone's thoughts..
    I believe a few people on OSE have tried this, from memory condensation was an issue with the esc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=StevenBryant;737519]I believe a few people on OSE have tried this, from memory condensation was an issue with the esc.

Hmm.. being a supposed waterproof ESC I wonder how or where it would condensate. Theoretically it should be sealed from all internal condensation, in that case I would think it would be ok.

I usually have a large container/bottle of cold ice water and I just take a gulp and blow it into the rudder water inlet and watch it exit through the water outlet. Gets the motor and esc cooler but I do it slowly as in short bursts and let sit for about a minute before blowing more cold water. I don't know if it matters or not but I just don't want to cool it immediately. . . so by doing it in short bursts and letting it adjust slowly to the cold water I feel, imo, I don't shock my motor and esc if it even matters. I usually only do this when I have a bunch of kids waiting to get their turn or when I want to run that particular boat again and again. But I have 3-6 boats for the neighborhood kids to play with. . .lots of fun!

Why Ice water? Ambient temperature is sufficient. You don't even need a 12v pump, just use a 5 liter pressure sprayer.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bp9145 View Post
    I usually have a large container/bottle of cold ice water and I just take a gulp and blow it into the rudder water inlet and watch it exit through the water outlet. Gets the motor and esc cooler but I do it slowly as in short bursts and let sit for about a minute before blowing more cold water. I don't know if it matters or not but I just don't want to cool it immediately. . . so by doing it in short bursts and letting it adjust slowly to the cold water I feel, imo, I don't shock my motor and esc if it even matters. I usually only do this when I have a bunch of kids waiting to get their turn or when I want to run that particular boat again and again. But I have 3-6 boats for the neighborhood kids to play with. . .lots of fun!
    Thats where I originally got the idea from.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    Why Ice water? Ambient temperature is sufficient. You don't even need a 12v pump, just use a 5 liter pressure sprayer.
    Agreed, I just figured I could use the ice water to lower the temps prior to the run. That is what we did when I was running snowmobile grass drag setups.. pre and after cooling with ice water. In our hobby It seems to be accepted that a cooler ESC and motor have less resistance that they do hot. Hence the ice water.

[QUOTE=Redfusion900;737520]
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenBryant View Post
    I believe a few people on OSE have tried this, from memory condensation was an issue with the esc.

Hmm.. being a supposed waterproof ESC I wonder how or where it would condensate. Theoretically it should be sealed from all internal condensation, in that case I would think it would be ok.
    Not all speed controllers are waterproof, if your running a fully sealed waterproof esc then condensation will not be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats where I originally got the idea from.

Agreed, I just figured I could use the ice water to lower the temps prior to the run. That is what we did when I was running snowmobile grass drag setups.. pre and after cooling with ice water. In our hobby It seems to be accepted that a cooler ESC and motor have less resistance that they do hot. Hence the ice water.
    Yes but as soon as the boat runs again the ambient temperature water will just bring the temp back up and you could end up with the condensation issues. Don't forget that different metals expand and contract differently and the potential is there to create problems.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Cool

SAW racers do/did this, but after cooling everything we sealed the system since pond water would quickly warm things back up. It worked well without differential expansion issues, but this would not work for extended oval racing.

6C6118BB-28C1-4C6F-A0F3-3C69C16BB2E4.jpg
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

That's just plain silly........

Oh Wait

icewater transfusion.jpg cooler 2 100_0578.jpg
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Here's another bright idea I experimented with (rather unsuccessfully) - fill tube with freezer pack blue ice, inline with onboard cooling setup to cool while underway. No bueno...........

ice tube MC 20190718_144343.jpg

Was relegated to the pile of other ideas that bombed such as the styrofoam turn fin & the edible propeller
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    Here's another bright idea I experimented with (rather unsuccessfully) - fill tube with freezer pack blue ice inline with onboard cooling setup. No bueno...........

Was relegated to the pile of ideas that bombed such as the styrofoam turn fin & the edible propeller
    LMAO!!! I've done the same thing in the past and even worse ideas that I don't care to share. .LOL I'm glad I'm not the only "genius" in fe boating. .

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    Here's another bright idea I experimented with (rather unsuccessfully) - fill tube with freezer pack blue ice inline with onboard cooling setup. No bueno...........

Was relegated to the pile of ideas that bombed such as the styrofoam turn fin & the edible propeller
    LMAO!!! I've done the same thing, well similar, in the past and even worse ideas that I don't care to share. .LOL I'm glad I'm not the only "genius" in fe boating. .

I use a USB powered submersible pump in a water bottle with ice, I run it with a small power pack phone charger. I only use it to chill the motor and it does an amazing job. I just got back from the Nats in Salt Lake and it got a good workout in the heat.

Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

I prefer to liquid cool the driver.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    I prefer to liquid cool the driver.
    At Legg Lake's state of the art driver's lounge area we offer this exact above mentioned luxury service to our esteemed guests :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lggAPdDQRI8

I noticed it cut out just before Tyler bit the dust. LOL

I use it to cool down after if I've paddled the throttle too much. I just use a big syringe and suck up cooler water, saves packing too many things. Drinks need to be cool too ya know...
    Nortavlag Bulc

I had forgotten about that slip. Those damn crocs turned into greased skids on that polished concrete table.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Every time I see this subject I think of the Peltier plate. Has that ever been tried by anyone? If yes, what happened? If no, why not?
    Last edited by SweetAccord; 11-01-2019 at 02:54 PM.

I have a small one for aquariums packed away somewhere, hmmm might be a winter project lol. Went thru lots of ice at the Salt Lake Nats.

Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.