Thread: What would cause Leopard 4082 1600 Kv motor to burn up?

Default What would cause Leopard 4082 1600 Kv motor to burn up?

Hi all the above mentioned motor is installed in my 32'' wildthing mono hull built from 1/8'' plywood originally built for .21 nitro i converted to electric some years ago hull hardware and radio weight 60 oz Swordfish Pro 220 amp 6s esc a perfectly alighned 3/16'' flex shaft spinning a x440/3 prop speeds around 50 mph i keep run times around 2 minutes motor mounted between motor rails that run length of hull the boat is a bit of a buzz bomb i will not deny i have had previous issues some years back fried a tp 4092 2000 kv a 200 amp esc -4s lipo im at my witts end with this hull. In my 28 years of fe boating i have never destroyed this much electronics in 1 hull. Where do i look to resolve this problem ? Regards Andris Golts.

How is the Leopard motor ? You can check esc timing.

Hi Alfa Spirit on the Swordfish 220 pro the regular program card wont work i tried mine and my friends neither works so i have been using the toggle switch programer Sword fish has second of all the Sword fish tech support can't tell me the degree values for low medium and high timing so i left it at auto timing mode im not sure if this is good or bad definetly not as good as the Seaking program card. Regards Andris Golts.

Cool

It is difficult to tell just what happened by reading the OP’s initial post. Let me see if I have it right:

- both motors burned up in the same hull, several years apart
    - both motors were running 4S
    - both motors used different SF ESCs
    - both ESCs used Auto timing
    - both motors used the same x440/3 prop
    - both ESCs work fine after the fires

What we don’t know:

How were the motors damaged: burned windings, seized shaft?
    WTH does “buzz bomb” actually mean? That was the term for a German cruise missile during WWII.
    Does the boat run wet or loose? Does it have a hook in the bottom?
    What cooling was used and was it effective?
    Just how long the boat ran, “around two minutes” tells us little especially if no timer was used. Most people underestimate the time they run.
    The temperatures of the motors, ESCs and packs after successful runs.
    If the motors had been overheated on previous runs before they failed.

Auto timing was not the problem, SF’s timing algorithms seem fine. With no other information available, the common conditions for both motor failures are likely the boat (poorly trimmed, hooked bottom), the driveline setup (insufficient gap between drive dog and strut, excess bend), or the driver (excess run time for the setup, excess test running out of water). But we really need to know more details to help.
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Andris is no newbie. He has run many electric boats. The basics he has down like built, hull setup with maybe one exception. Pushing a boat of this size on 1600kv and 440x3 and 4s would run quite wet.

Isn’t 3.75lbs for hull and hardware heavy? Not sure. Seems o.k.

More details and maybe a few pictures of the butt end, inside....

4s2p?
    Nortavlag Bulc

Andris is no newbie. He has run many electric boats. The basics he has down like built, hull setup with maybe one exception. Pushing a boat of this size on 1600kv and 440x3 and 4s would run quite wet.....4s2p?
    I know he is an experienced FE guy, but his muddled request isn’t helping us to help him. He said the boat is running 50 mph, probably not too wet, but from his post who knows? Parallel packs might stress the ESC, but not the motor if he is running for two minutes......

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

so was the 1600 kv leopard motor running on 4s x 2 parallel or in series ? 1600 kv,s is very low for running on 4s x 14.8 volts. if it was running on 4s x 2 in series at over 28 volts then i could see why the motor burnt out.

Hi all i will clarify 1600 kv motor run on 6s spinning x440 prop Swordfish 220 pro ok .Before i ran tp 4092 2000 kv on 4s and swordfish 200 amp esc x440 prop rubbed out motor esc and lipo all my runs are set on 2 minute alarm all temps around 115 degrees farenheight on all good runs.Regards Andris Golts