Thread: 1/8 scale U-88 hydro hull near ready for paint, plug & play with components

Default 1/8 scale U-88 hydro hull near ready for paint, plug & play with components

I am selling a project that I just about finished, but now im back in school and need the funds.

This hull originally started life as a SG121 from Steve G, and I undertook a huge host of modifications to convert it to the drop sponson U-88/U-37 hull, in addition to making performance changes to the underside and to accommodate the electric powertrain. At this point, it is extremely far from its original incarnation and is, in my opinion, a special boat. The hull was delivered to me made entirely of carbon fiber, since some of the modifications ive done have been with mainly balsa, plywood, and of course west system and fiberglass. I was very adamant about getting the weight down, as I was floored at how heavy Steve sells his hulls.

Just to name a few of the more major mods:

sponsons dropped, port side deck raised
    cockpit was removed and slide back 1.5 inches (which necessitated removing the ram wings behind the canard and rebuilding new ones from Balsa)
    entire middle section of floor removed (the boat as it came from Steve was extremely heavy, the middle floor piece alone was 1.5 lbs)
    extended the battery tray to run much farther back in order to seal off the entire inside, and created a bespoke lid that can be easily taped up
    removed the stock cowling and grafted a phil thomas t5 cowling
    completely remade the rear end (everything extended slightly) to more accurately represent the U-88
    made new sponson undersides, much larger platforms with sharper edges
    added material to the tips and inside walls of the sponsons to more accurately represent the U-88

ill only post a few pictures here but I have literally hundreds of pictures documenting the whole process of the build. Theres 2 sets of uprights and 1 rear wing thats not yet finished. The front canard obviously needs a bit more finishing as well.

Its nearly ready for a 2k high build primer and then paint. I got the surface as well done as I could, it just has a cheap surfacing canned primer on it right now just to make some of the smaller blemishes easy to see, really shouldn't take more than an afternoon of spot filling and whatnot to get it ready for the final bits.

It really bums me out to post this for sale, as I felt I was extremely close to at least getting it on the water... but I really need the funds at this point. My lose is your gain, id love to see it finished :)

I have nearly all the associated hardware and components to make this as close to an RTR 1/8 scale hydro package as you could find. The bottom has been blueprinted and is perfectly level, and I already added in tungsten ballast in the tips of the sponsons to ensure its properly balanced front to rear. I have a couple motor options in addition to batteries that are brand new or only used once or twice, a setup for both 8s and 10s. As im going to list each of the components for sale individually, I will either update this thread shortly with a complete list or I will make another one. If someone is indeed interested in purchasing everything as a package, I can certainly offer a discount along with helping out with shipping costs.

Im from Seattle (hydro heaven) but currently living in Laramie, Wyoming (another reason why I am more fond of selling it, as the options of where to drive it are very limited here vs Seattle )

-Hull only: 900$ obo
    -Hull and hardware (custom turn fin setup, speedmaster rudder, 1/4" flex cable setup, and motor shaft collet and both props) - 1100$ obo
    -Entire package for hull and everything in the pictures (still needs a few small things to be absolutely RTR but we can discuss that if needed) - 1750$ obo

please PM me if you would like my phone number or to discuss anything.

EDIT: heres a list of the components I have available and condition they are in

-Icharger 308 Duo (this has only been used twice but has a small crack on the screen... dont travel Frontier airlines.) SOLD
    -Revolectrix batteries - platinum 5500mah 2x 4s and 5s (the 5s is brand new and never been used, wires still ready for soldering, the 4s has been used twice, will include OSE case for 5s pair) 4s pair - 110$, 5s pair - 160$
    -Swordfish 200amp 8s ESC with programmer (new, never used, cables ready for soldering) 165$
    -Hyperion HS4035 - 800kv motor (been used twice) 60$
    -Typhoon 1260kv motor with water jacket (new, never used) 150$
    -Futaba 3PL radio and reciever (used twice, practically new but no box) 60$
    -Hitec digital high torque servo (used twice, will get exact model number) 40$
    -Octura x450 2 blade and 3 blade prop, sharpened and balanced (3 blade never used, 2 blade used twice) 25$ for 2 blade, 35$ for 3 blade
    -Tyndall turn fin, no bracket (drilled for bracket but never used) - SOLD
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nichismo; 08-04-2019 at 01:54 AM.
    BIG BOY HYDROPLANES----My first RC boat and build project to boot: (and more content in my profile gallery!) ---- https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...proposed-setup

more pictures
    BIG BOY HYDROPLANES----My first RC boat and build project to boot: (and more content in my profile gallery!) ---- https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...proposed-setup

few more:

If anyone would like to see anything specific for the boat please let me know.

Pictures of the extras and whatnot, will create an actual listing of each individual item and price

Will update OP with individualized list

I would like to buy your turn-fin and bracket setup if it’s available? I Would need it shipped to Washington State. Let me know your price..... PayPal is ready!

Sorry, im thinking since the hull has already been drilled and tapped for this particular turn fin setup, Im probably going to have to sell it with the hull.

No problem, I don’t blame you for wanting to sell it with the hull, it’s a beautiful hull and turn fin, Thanks for the response!

If you don’t mind me asking where did you get that turn fin setup? It looks awesome and scale. PM me if you get a chance. Thank you

Thanks for the compliment, I was very adamant about reproducing certain features of the real boat. And oddly enough in some areas, like the windshield cutout, I spent a good amount of time on (it always sticks out like a sore thumb I believe when the windshield shape is inaccurate or misplaced, throws the whole look of the entire boat off imo) I also forgot to mention I have a saltwater snorkel for the hull as well.

The fin setup was made for me by a fella in Germany, who does the fin setups for the 1/6 scale boats with the jetcat turbines and whatnot. Ill try logging into my intlwaters.com account as im pretty sure thats where I exchanged some PMs with him in regards to the turn fin.

I updated the OP with a list of the components for sale,

im going to wait on posting the price as I believe someone is interested in purchasing everything as a package, but I will know for certain by the end of the day and update the thread accordingly. Also I refrained from listing any of the hardware as I will likely be including that with the hull.

Thanks

-Nick

I would also like to know the contact over at inlet for the turn fin. Got 3 boats for those.

what are you asking for the SF200 esc?

I am not seeing a package price, How much for hull and all the parts?
    And what parts are included with “hull only”?
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Updated. Im having trouble trying to remember my login info for intlwaters, but I know for certain I made a thread once with pictures of this turn fit setup with it mounted too I think, im trying to find it right now, sorry!

Thanks

-Nick

I found that thread but didn't see any reference to who your friend is in Germany or what his name might be

Nick, from what I see you've done a really nice job on the conversion. I may have a serious potential buyer as the mods you did will do a boat he wants but would like some detailed shots of how you did sponson and center mods. Rather than clutter up the thread with all those pics if you don't mind emailing them shoot me a p/m and I'll reply with my email address.
    Futaba Team Driver
    - IMPBA Hydro Technical Director -

Quote Originally Posted by nichismo View Post
    Updated. Im having trouble trying to remember my login info for intlwaters, but I know for certain I made a thread once with pictures of this turn fit setup with it mounted too I think, im trying to find it right now, sorry!

Thanks

-Nick
    Nick I found your user profile on I/W (I'm an admin) p/m me with what info you need to get back on.

And I need those pics when you get some time as my buddy is still very interested.
    Futaba Team Driver

Thanks Don,

Updated OP with prices for individual components, all are OBO, I really need to get rid of this stuff so fee free to make any offers!

Quote Originally Posted by nichismo View Post
    Thanks Don,

Updated OP with prices for individual components, all are OBO, I really need to get rid of this stuff so fee free to make any offers!
    Nick I definitely what first shot on the hull and custom turn fin pending either you finding pics or a call or e-mail to describe the extensive mods made to the hull. Also check you p/m box for info on your I/W account.
    Futaba Team Driver

Does the $190 for the i charger include power supply, box and charging/battery leads?

I can do 200+ shipping and I’ll include everything you listed

I'll pay $35 for the Tyndall turn fin with no bracket.

Will you pay to ship it?

I will take it. PayPal address.

Thanks

Yes I can pay for the shipping on the turn fin. I will PM you with my Paypal ID

For the icharger, if you could please PM me with your shipping address and I’ll send you my PayPal ID

Turn fin received. A1+ condition.

Thank you.

PM sent in regarding charger

"Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser77 View Post
    PM sent in regarding charger

You should know better than pm in sale thread...
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    You should know better than pm in sale thread...
    Already purchased and received the charger, was posting and pm’d him regards to the condition of the charger.

Hey Nick you out there? Check you messages when you get a chance about shipping the boat.
    Futaba Team Driver