Thread: 1/8 scale U-88 hydro hull near ready for paint, plug & play with components

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 1/8 scale U-88 hydro hull near ready for paint, plug & play with components

I am selling a project that I just about finished, but now im back in school and need the funds.

This hull originally started life as a SG121 from Steve G, and I undertook a huge host of modifications to convert it to the drop sponson U-88/U-37 hull, in addition to making performance changes to the underside and to accommodate the electric powertrain. At this point, it is extremely far from its original incarnation and is, in my opinion, a special boat. The hull was delivered to me made entirely of carbon fiber, since some of the modifications ive done have been with mainly balsa, plywood, and of course west system and fiberglass. I was very adamant about getting the weight down, as I was floored at how heavy Steve sells his hulls.

Just to name a few of the more major mods:

sponsons dropped, port side deck raised
    cockpit was removed and slide back 1.5 inches (which necessitated removing the ram wings behind the canard and rebuilding new ones from Balsa)
    entire middle section of floor removed (the boat as it came from Steve was extremely heavy, the middle floor piece alone was 1.5 lbs)
    extended the battery tray to run much farther back in order to seal off the entire inside, and created a bespoke lid that can be easily taped up
    removed the stock cowling and grafted a phil thomas t5 cowling
    completely remade the rear end (everything extended slightly) to more accurately represent the U-88
    made new sponson undersides, much larger platforms with sharper edges
    added material to the tips and inside walls of the sponsons to more accurately represent the U-88

ill only post a few pictures here but I have literally hundreds of pictures documenting the whole process of the build. Theres 2 sets of uprights and 1 rear wing thats not yet finished. The front canard obviously needs a bit more finishing as well.

Its nearly ready for a 2k high build primer and then paint. I got the surface as well done as I could, it just has a cheap surfacing canned primer on it right now just to make some of the smaller blemishes easy to see, really shouldn't take more than an afternoon of spot filling and whatnot to get it ready for the final bits.

It really bums me out to post this for sale, as I felt I was extremely close to at least getting it on the water... but I really need the funds at this point. My lose is your gain, id love to see it finished :)

I have nearly all the associated hardware and components to make this as close to an RTR 1/8 scale hydro package as you could find. The bottom has been blueprinted and is perfectly level, and I already added in tungsten ballast in the tips of the sponsons to ensure its properly balanced front to rear. I have a couple motor options in addition to batteries that are brand new or only used once or twice, a setup for both 8s and 10s. As im going to list each of the components for sale individually, I will either update this thread shortly with a complete list or I will make another one. If someone is indeed interested in purchasing everything as a package, I can certainly offer a discount along with helping out with shipping costs.

Im from Seattle (hydro heaven) but currently living in Laramie, Wyoming (another reason why I am more fond of selling it, as the options of where to drive it are very limited here vs Seattle )

-Hull only: 900$ obo
    -Hull and hardware (custom turn fin setup, speedmaster rudder, 1/4" flex cable setup, and motor shaft collet and both props) - 1100$ obo
    -Entire package for hull and everything in the pictures (still needs a few small things to be absolutely RTR but we can discuss that if needed) - 1750$ obo

please PM me if you would like my phone number or to discuss anything.

EDIT: heres a list of the components I have available and condition they are in

-Icharger 308 Duo (this has only been used twice but has a small crack on the screen... dont travel Frontier airlines.) SOLD
    -Revolectrix batteries - platinum 5500mah 2x 4s and 5s (the 5s is brand new and never been used, wires still ready for soldering, the 4s has been used twice, will include OSE case for 5s pair) 4s pair - 110$, 5s pair - 160$
    -Swordfish 200amp 8s ESC with programmer (new, never used, cables ready for soldering) 165$
    -Hyperion HS4035 - 800kv motor (been used twice) 60$
    -Typhoon 1260kv motor with water jacket (new, never used) 150$
    -Futaba 3PL radio and reciever (used twice, practically new but no box) 60$
    -Hitec digital high torque servo (used twice, will get exact model number) 40$
    -Octura x450 2 blade and 3 blade prop, sharpened and balanced (3 blade never used, 2 blade used twice) 25$ for 2 blade, 35$ for 3 blade
    -Tyndall turn fin, no bracket (drilled for bracket but never used) - SOLD
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nichismo; 08-04-2019 at 01:54 AM.
    BIG BOY HYDROPLANES----My first RC boat and build project to boot: (and more content in my profile gallery!) ---- https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...proposed-setup