Thread: GPS Reception in All Carbon Fiber or Carbon Fiber/Kevlar Reinforced Fiberglas Hulls

Default GPS Reception in All Carbon Fiber or Carbon Fiber/Kevlar Reinforced Fiberglas Hulls

I have read in the Forum, that you must run your receiver’s antenna wire outside of an all carbon fiber hull for proper reception. How about those hulls that are fiberglass with carbon fiber/ Kevlar reinforcement inner liner. Also, how about the small GPG’s we use to measure boat speed?
    My son is expecting delivery of his Promarine MTR tomorrow, which has a carbon fiber/Kevlar reinforced fiberglass hull and I am expecting a TFL Zonda-R all carbon fiber hull with a carbon fiber/Kevlar inner liner in a couple of weeks. We use a Dynamite GPS from Horizon Hobby in all of our other boats. Our new boats will be our venture into carbon fiber hulls or those reinforced with some carbon fiber. How do you use these small GPS’s in these types of hulls or can we use them at all?
    Last edited by Rezendes; 07-12-2019 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Incomplete message

I have a fiberglass hull I tried to run the wire inside, but in hard right hand turns the hull would roll and the wire would be below the water line and the motor would cut out for a second.......moved the wire outside and problem solved

your results may vary

IMO be safe and run them all outside. Why take the chance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run the antenna on the outside of my boats, as high as the antenna lead allows, regardless of the hull material.

GPS signals will not pass through carbon hulls or fiberglass hulls with a carbon inlay, assuming the top half of the hull and hatch is made from carbon as well. You can run an all carbon boat with a fiberglass hatch if/when those alternate parts are available. Depends on the hull. Some people will seal the GPS in a bag and attach them to the exterior of the boat with high strength tape. I've seen videos of one guy in particular chasing 110mph in an all carbon/kevlar cat that has suffered many hard crashes with the GPS taped up to the outside of the hull. Not pretty, but effective for tuning purposes.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

My Garmin 301 will not work Inside fiberglass or CF or CFK I tape my GPS on the outside in a water tight bag .
    And i would definitely run the receivers antenna on the outside.
    My 2 cents
    MYSTIC 138 119 MPH so far

i put my forerunner 301 inside my veles 29 and zelos 36 with no issue. velco to servo on veles and right beside servo in zelos.

Now my Promarine Phantom on the other-hand, is a different story. I tried it on the servo and it only read 35... i taped it in a bag on the bow and read 54.. next time out i will put it directly under hatch which is all fiberglass and give that a try

Quote Originally Posted by f252br View Post
    i put my forerunner 301 inside my veles 29 and zelos 36 with no issue. velco to servo on veles and right beside servo in zelos.

Now my Promarine Phantom on the other-hand, is a different story. I tried it on the servo and it only read 35... i taped it in a bag on the bow and read 54.. next time out i will put it directly under hatch which is all fiberglass and give that a try
    Your lucky , i wish mine worked i have three and none of them work inside the hull .
    MYSTIC 138 119 MPH so far