Thread: Sonicwake proboat mono heating issue

Default Sonicwake proboat mono heating issue

Hi guys,
    We’re testing the Sonicwake trying to get things to run cool cause it get very hot. So we added bigger water lines and bigger water exit fittings and went to a dual water cooling lines one for esc one for motor.
    We can see a short 3inch stream of water when the boat is moving.

Question the bigger water line is the bigger flow of water is it causing it to get hot? I was thinking maybe we should restrict the water flow coming out and build up more pressure will that help to cool better? Thx Tom

Don't overthink the thermodynamics of a model boat cooling system. More flow = more cooling in this application. I've found some of the biggest restrictions in RTR boats to be the brass hose barbs that thread into the rudder, water jacket, and ESC. If they have enough material left, you can sometimes drill them out to increase flow, or replace them all together. Tapered pickups in rudders can be drilled out to decrease the restriction on flow too.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

As fweasel says. Check the holes in your ESC cooling fittings. I had a brand new one completely blocked by the glue Hobby uses for the hose fitting. While your at it open them up jus a little to increase volume of flow.

Default Sonicwake Upgrade cooling system

First I took off all of my factory decals and then I have Installed my Upgrade kit which included a new Dual Rudder Pickup, Dual Trim Tab's, Larger Turn Fins and now I am working on my cooling system. I decide to go with 2 larger water outlets that are 1/4'' so more water can run through the Motor and ESC! Had to go to Home depot to get my drill bits to make and drill out my 4 holes!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi guys
    I hav3 worked things out. Tried to drill out the ESC barbs don’t try that. They are cheap alum and paper thin. The holes tha5go threw the ESC are so small the whole thing a joke. I started replacing all those 120 ESC with the 150 esc for$59 bucks it’s will worth it plus I can run a lot bigger prop with plenty of cool8ng. The issue with the sonic wake is there is no room to add the esc. Oh the stock ESC that so close to the inner wall is another joke. Half of the water line is pinched. If you can replace those with 90 degrees nipples much better. Later guys thx

Default Seaking V 120

What ESC did you upgrade to for your sonicwake - the Hobby wing SEAKING V 120A or a Dynamite 120A BL Marine ESC 2-6S?
    Just making sure that specs on the Seaking V 120 will fit my boat, please click the link for the specs?

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/collections/marine-esc

He upgraded the 120s to a 150-amp ESC, didn’t say which one just “$59 bucks”.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by UpliFT-RC View Post
    First I took off all of my factory decals and then I have Installed my Upgrade kit which included a new Dual Rudder Pickup, Dual Trim Tab's, Larger Turn Fins and now I am working on my cooling system. I decide to go with 2 larger water outlets that are 1/4'' so more water can run through the Motor and ESC! Had to go to Home depot to get my drill bits to make and drill out my 4 holes!
    let me see both sides of that rudder at the inlets !

I was able to get one of them installed and my exit two water outlets that will be running a 1/4mm hoses! Thanks, Chris!!
    dual outlets insalled.jpgWater Inlets.jpg
    Last edited by UpliFT-RC; 06-30-2020 at 11:53 AM.

I wanted to see if the rudder pickup holes are on 1 side or both sides ?

@dasboata - Decided to go side to side w/ my water intake inlets!
    I still need to use my ProTech Body reamer!

2nd water outlet.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by UpliFT-RC View Post
    What ESC did you upgrade to for your sonicwake - the Hobby wing SEAKING V 120A or a Dynamite 120A BL Marine ESC 2-6S?
    Just making sure that specs on the Seaking V 120 will fit my boat, please click the link for the specs?

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/collections/marine-esc
    The esc i think he's talking about is. Raider 150amp at off shore electrics 59.99 awsome buy im getting one.

Default Proboat sonicwake 36 issues

I bought a sonicwake 36 and 5 runs in esc blew. Called Horrizon Hobby they sent new one. Before this one blows i added dual water lines,1 for esc and1 for motor. Drilled all ports for water flow for rudder,esc, and outlets. So far doing good.

Just picked up my new motor for my #Sonicwake - I went with a #Leopard 3674 X2 4-Pole Brushless Motor 1900KV and now I just need to grad a #Hobbywing #SEAKING 180a V3 ECS and I should be all set for my mods on my #Proboat
    Leopard 1900KV.jpgSeaking 180ESC .jpg

Here is how my dual rudder pick up lines came out!!

Dual Rudder pickup lines.jpg

Those 150 have crap cooling .. the tubes are on the sides and the mossfets are under the center Ike all esc .. so the heat has to be pulled waaaay to the sides .. fixed my sons with the stumpfab 150a esc cooling plate it?s works great . Has 4 channels of water passing over to cool

I sent the 3674 X2 4-Pole Brushless Motor 1900KV back since its basically the same stock motor that come with the boat. i AM GOING WITH A sEKING 180 ECS & already ordered my Leopard 4074 1050kv motor for my SW!! i WILL BE posting pictures as soon as I get it up and running!
    leopard-3674.jpeg

Default New ESC and Motor

The eagle has landed! Got my new ESC and Motor and 6.5mm castle connectors
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BJ42'' / Miss Geico 36'' / TFL Hydro 35'' / Retrieval boat 30'' Tug
    Make sure you check out my Youtube channel -----> shorturl.at/ntFQ7