Thread: Sonicwake proboat mono heating issue

Default Sonicwake proboat mono heating issue

Hi guys,
    We’re testing the Sonicwake trying to get things to run cool cause it get very hot. So we added bigger water lines and bigger water exit fittings and went to a dual water cooling lines one for esc one for motor.
    We can see a short 3inch stream of water when the boat is moving.

Question the bigger water line is the bigger flow of water is it causing it to get hot? I was thinking maybe we should restrict the water flow coming out and build up more pressure will that help to cool better? Thx Tom

Don't overthink the thermodynamics of a model boat cooling system. More flow = more cooling in this application. I've found some of the biggest restrictions in RTR boats to be the brass hose barbs that thread into the rudder, water jacket, and ESC. If they have enough material left, you can sometimes drill them out to increase flow, or replace them all together. Tapered pickups in rudders can be drilled out to decrease the restriction on flow too.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

As fweasel says. Check the holes in your ESC cooling fittings. I had a brand new one completely blocked by the glue Hobby uses for the hose fitting. While your at it open them up jus a little to increase volume of flow.