Thread: Proboat UL19 and Sonic Wake reduced speed after one short lap

Default Proboat UL19 and Sonic Wake reduced speed after one short lap

Help! I have several FE Boats. Recently, my UL19 and Sonic Wake reduced speed after a short lap. The Sonic Wake is stock. The UL19 has been modified with a new Sea King 180A ESC and the same motor that is in the Sonic Wake. I have only used 6S in the SW and 4S, 5S and 6S in the UL19. Both boats have been upgraded to dual water pickup rudders to improve cooling. The reason for the ESC and motor change on the UL19 was to improve cooling when using 6S. Using a program card I have gone through the setup of both ESC’s to try and eliminate the premature cutouts, with no success. My local hobby shop recommended that I used a additional capacitor plugged into tha aux port in the receiver in the SW. That did not help the condition either.

Can anyone shed light on what I have missed or failed to check?

Are the motors still turning freely? I ask as one (SW) in our club just disintegrated the kevlar wrap on the rotor on the weekend. The boat slowed down like it hit lvc, went a little and stopped. The motor is toast, not sure about esc yet. Not too impressed at these motors after that.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

what brand and c rating lipos are you using?
    volantex vector pro ,proboat veles 29 , traxxas spartan, hobbyking/tfl pursuit ,ft009 with rescue rigging

And what do you mean running slow? Half speed? 3/4?
    How many times has this happened?
    Do you have a good charger and what packs? What connectors?
    I too suspect battery quality. Have you compared voltage from before short lap to that of immediately after speed reduction?

Answers to these key questions Might help you help us help you.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Ok, thanks for responding to my issue. In answer to your questions, I have four boats; Promarine MTR, AquaCraft Cajun Commander (rescue boat), Proboat UL19 and a Proboat Sonic Wake. I use all 14 pairs of my batteries interchangeably in all the boats. All but my 5S pairs are Graphene 2.0 the 3S’s are 6500/80C, 2S’s are 6000/70C and the 5S pairs are 5000/65C. Last Week the problem first occurred on the UL19 theme the Sonic Wake (same day). I tried several other pairs of batteries, all with the same result on the first day. Before the second time out, I checked all my connections,the ESC to motor connectors are 6mm on both boats and those solder connections are solid! I lowered the LVC to 3.0, I checked for any binding on the motors and prop shafts on the UL19, I swapped out the ESC to a 180A Sea King and the motor to the same motor the Sonic Wake uses and in the Sonic Wake I also added a capacitor to the aux port on the receiver. I have two primary chargers, I use them both before going out for a day of running the boats, a Orion HV Advanced is a two station charger with 200 amps per station the second charger is a Hitec x400 also a two station charger with 200 amps per station.
    I have checked the voltage of the packs at the time of the speed reduction. They had more than enough power to put into my Promarine MTR with a ZTW 200A ESC and a Leopard 4074/2200kv motor and give back to back runs of 72 MPH! I am estimating that the speed is reduced to at best, no more than 1/4 or less. It’s almost the way a boat would react if you reached thermal cutoff or LVC.

Any ideas—- anyone????