Thread: Which Servo?

Default Which Servo?

G'day

I am in the middle of a rigger build and was told i need a 150 to 160 inch ounce servo, i am clueless any ideas? i would like to get it from here if possible?

thanks in advance

Question

For a 16" long rigger you can get by fine with a servo supplying 20 in. oz of torque.

For my LSH and LSO hulls and others of similar power (4S1P), I really like the HiTec HS-77BB. It is a low-profile, ball-bearing, "waterproof" aileron servo. The list price is something like $29 or so. It has plenty of torque for hulls up to "P" power. I don't run anything larger than 4S, so I can not give any personal experience with higher power hulls.

thanks guys, my rigger is 34" so i assume inches and torque is the strength? I will be running 4s and 6s in it at arount 60-75mph hopefully

Cool

IME it is better to have too much torque rather than too little. A 75 mph rigger (versus a heavier sport hydro) should use a minimum of 6.5 kg.cm of torque. Every servo has a torque specification with units of either oz-in or kg.cm. The HiTec HS-645 is a standard for larger boats, with plenty of torque for a 7 kg mono and fast operating speed. It is reasonably priced around $40US. If you have a lot of room, I like the larger HS-775HB quarter scale servo. It is a monster power-wise ( 13 kg.cm) but costs less than $30.

Digital servos offer more power in smaller packages, at a higher price. They do offer much better centering power, and I use them on my SAW boats to help counteract prop walk. A good one IME is the HS-5645MG at around $55US. It has worked well for me in boats with speeds in the high 80s.

thanks guys i would prefer to go digital, will the HS-5645MG be strong enought for my application? and is it sold here? i had a look nd couldnt find it.

Cool

A good one IME is the HS-5645MG at around $55US. It has worked well for me in boats with speeds in the high 80s.
    What part don't you understand?

Yes, i will be plenty for a light weight rigger at 75 mph. I buy mine here: http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-564...al_torque.html