Thread: Converting from .67 nitro to fe

Default Converting from .67 nitro to fe

I have a Dumas Skater 40" cat that has a .67 in it that I would like to convert to electric as where I run it has had complaints about noise.

Is there any advantage to running twin motors?

What motor/esc/battery will I need to get for it?

I will try to share my limited knowledge with you. I am going to assume a Dumas nitro hull of that size is a pretty heavy boat. So to run a single you might not have to change much of the drive hardware but it will require a big motor something in the 56 mm diameter by 100 - 114 mm length , with a kv rating of 650 to 800 running on 10-s batteries and a limited selection of speed controls. Everything I have described is pricey stuff in the world of electric boating, but the boat properly set up would probably blow the doors off your nitro set up. Running dual motors you can use smaller stuff motor sizes 40x74 or 40x82 1400 to 1800 kv with a much larger selection of speed controls running 4 to 6-s to each motor . But then you have to change to two struts or stingers two props counter rotating two flex cables and relocate everything. Smaller gear is cheaper but when you buy two of everything it will probably come out pretty close. I would also think speed potential would be pretty equal. The store on this forum website OSE off shore electric is a very good place to do business with for your conversion.You may save a buck or two sending off to China but the guys at OSE sell good quality stuff at a very fair price and their advice can be priceless.

The most important question is - does the OP have experience with high power FE boats? What he is attempting to do is an advanced build, and a relatively expensive one. A simple beginner mistake can cost hundreds of dollars and even result in the loss of the boat. Even experienced nitro and gas boaters will make costly FE errors - I have seen this happen many times and would hate to see it happen to the OP. He would be far better off buying a smaller RTR boat and learn the basics of FE first, then sell it and build the high voltage setup.

If he has FE experience then I would suggest a single motor running on 8S or 10S. As recommended above a quality 56mm motor with a Kv around 800, use a minimum 200 amp HV ESC and a 2P/5000 mAh pack setup for a system which can work well. Don’t try a twin setup, it’s too complicated for a newer FE boater, the single will be relatively easy to convert and performance can be stellar.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for