Thread: P cat setup?

Default P cat setup?

Deltaforce pathfinder, TP 4030 2450kv, a pair of giant power 4S 4000mah packs in parallel. I was a little confused by the NAMBA rule book some Im not sure what this setup would run in. I want to build a course boat and start racing, I thought a 4S cat would be a good place to start.

The DF Pathfinder 28 would be legal for racing in P Catamaran and P Offshore with your setup. It is a relatively small hull and could be at a disadvantage racing with other boats in rough water. That said it would still be an excellent boat with which to begin racing. Where in Texas are you located and with whom would you be racing?

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Im in Austin and will most likely be heading to Houston and run with the HOTMBC. IF...I can get some time off later this summer. Any prop suggestions? 34" max length in those classes?

Ya know a smaller faster boat can win races in a good drivers hands. The younger drivers with faster reactions beat me off and on in P LTD classes.
    Randy
    For ABS, Fiberglass, Carbon hulls and Stainless hardware
    BBY Racing

I might know a little about setting up a P cat. I have set up the 2 lap records for cats in NAMBA & IMPBA. My son does most of the driving for records. Anyway the DF 28 has done well as a P/limited hull for us. You would be better off going to a 3660 motor for that NAMBA class assuming the new rule passed. As for a full "P" the DF will run fast in a straight line but not corner well above 50-55mph. We used an Aeromarine MM for the IMPBA record and same problem with corner speed. I actually prefer the DF28 over the MM. For a larger motor the TFL Cheetah 34 would be better. In NAMBA you can use a twin for P but again top speed is not what wins races, corners are where you win. Without a major cost going to the limited setup and using 442/3 blade CNC, Octura 642 or cut down M445, or an ABC 1714-1715 will run your DF well. Stay lower on KV in the 1800-2200 range. Higher KV will limit your prop selection to smaller diameters.
    Mic
    Last edited by HTVboats; 07-05-2019 at 11:51 AM.

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

Quote Originally Posted by HTVboats View Post
    I might know a little about setting up a P cat. I have set up the 2 lap records for cats in NAMBA & IMPBA. My son does most of the driving for records. Anyway the DF 28 has done well as a P/limited hull for us. You would be better off going to a 3660 motor for that NAMBA class assuming the new rule passed. As for a full "P" the DF will run fast in a straight line but not corner well above 50-55mph. We used an Aeromarine MM for the IMPBA record and same problem with corner speed. I actually prefer the DF28 over the MM. For a larger motor the TFL Cheetah 34 would be better. In NAMBA you can use a twin for P but again top speed is not what wins races, corners are where you win. Without a major cost going to the limited setup and using 442/3 blade CNC, Octura 642 or cut down M445, or an ABC 1714-1715 will run your DF well. Stay lower on KV in the 1800-2200 range. Higher KV will limit your prop selection to smaller diameters.
    Mic
    I assume thats an octura X642? If so I already have all three of the props you suggested. When they say P limited they do mean LIMITED. If Im reading the rules correct Im limited to four motors from two manufactures? Are the P cat and P offshore classes dominated by cheetahs and promarine skaters? I have a leo 4074 2200kv on the shelf, would that be better than the TP 4030 2450kv?

If the OP wants to race with the HOTMBC he needs to check with them for the “Limited” motors they will accept. This may differ from some on-line list. The club runs both Limited and full P classes, when I ran there the Miss Geico cats were popular in Limited, the Cheetah was becoming popular in full P....but again, check with them first.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    If the OP wants to race with the HOTMBC he needs to check with them for the “Limited” motors they will accept. This may differ from some on-line list. The club runs both Limited and full P classes, when I ran there the Miss Geico cats were popular in Limited, the Cheetah was becoming popular in full P....but again, check with them first.

Thanks for the advice. I had not thought about individual clubs having different rules. By the way what does "OP" stand for?

OP = Original Poster, that'd be you for this thread.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    OP = Original Poster, that'd be you for this thread.
    Thank you sir.