Thread: Zelos 36 - First run one ESC in LVC after a pass or two. Would these ESC's be better?

Default Zelos 36 - First run one ESC in LVC after a pass or two. Would these ESC's be better?

I picked up a Zelos 36 from a local hobby shop on sale for $450. I absolutely love the size of this beauty.

I ran it yesterday on two Lectron Pro 5200 50C 3s packs with the adapter so running 6s to both esc's. Twice, the left esc has kicked into LVC within a pass or two. Came in, pulled tape and hatch and blinking red light. Nothing warm besides the harness wires slightly (but I ran it on 4s prior).

Turned the ESCs on then off again and tried again, did it again after the second or third pass.

Prior to the first runs I pulled and greased the drives, made sure motors lined up and also checked the clearance of everything along with confirming all screws were tight.

Top speed on one of the runs was 53.4 mph by GPS.

My LHS has a used pair of the Dynamite 160A 8s ESC's for $100 each (I think I can get them for $80/each). Assuming it isn't my batteries (I run them in my by Blackjack 24 and Streamline RC Thrasher jet boat without any issue), would it be worthwhile to grab these ESCs?

I assume running a higher amp capable esc would be more efficient and also provide the ability to go to 8s if I wanted (I do have batteries to run in an 8s setup if I wanted.

Any help is appreciated. ESC's in question are : https://www.amainhobbies.com/dynamit...SABEgJS9fD_BwE

EDIT: I recalibrated the escs and also set LVC down to 3v per cell. Thinking maybe upon full throttle its dropping past the LVC limit in that burst which is casuing the issue. When i pulled the batteries after the run i was at 3.69v per cell.

I also ordered SMC 5400 90c 3s packs to try out as well.
    Last edited by ninjajimmy; 06-21-2019 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Add info

Is your ESC running auto "low voltage" cutoff? If it is i can almost be 100% sure this is your problem. When you get a quick burst of amp draw it pulls the batteriers down below cutoff voltage momentarily causing the ESC to do exactly what you are talking about. Then once you reset the esc (power on & off) it's fine untill the next big draw.

I would recommending setting the low voltage cutoff on your esc manually or statically to something like 3.4 or 3.2v and then see what happens.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder29 View Post
    Is your ESC running auto "low voltage" cutoff? If it is i can almost be 100% sure this is your problem. When you get a quick burst of amp draw it pulls the batteriers down below cutoff voltage momentarily causing the ESC to do exactly what you are talking about. Then once you reset the esc (power on & off) it's fine untill the next big draw.

I would recommending setting the low voltage cutoff on your esc manually or statically to something like 3.4 or 3.2v and then see what happens.

Hope this makes sense and helps.
    I don’t know what it was set on but the options are: none, 2.8v, 3.0v, 3.2v, and 3.4v. I assume it’s set at 3.4v from the factory.

I’ve changed it to none to see if that helps. I’ll just keep an eye on runtime and keep it short as to not overdischarge the batteries. I have a beeper I can plug in to a balance port to keep track of battery voltage. Heading out now to test.

The Zelos 36 really likes a good quaility 70c plus battery. I have run the Letron pro in mine but it was hard on them. Currently running Revolectrix 420 blend 70c.

Be really careful running now low voltage cutoff. I'm curious to see if them problem has gone away now that you've changed LVC.

I really like the Turnigy Heavy Duty 65-120C batteries. I have put them through hell and they keep running cool and doing good.

Issue is gone. Shutting off LVC and running a separate cell checker I had no issues on two sets of batteries. Just pulled the boat in at 3.7-3.6v per cell. The batteries are warm after use, but nothing out of the ordinary

I picked up an Impulse 31 V3, did the same, and all was well too.

Glad to hear you issue has been figured out and fixed.

Cheers!