Thread: hull rc boat how these repairs

Default hull rc boat how these repairs

my tfl zonda hull is damaged how can i repair it? IMG_20190611_143546.jpgIMG_20190616_202336.jpg

The tip repairs are easiest to do freehand with a toothpick and heat gun. I just warm and spread around some epoxy until the missing material is replaced with a nice shiny smooth blob.

When filling a sharp corner like that you need to use epoxy "dams" unless you like sanding, repainting etc. The trick is not to sand after application.

Always sand before application for mechanical adhesion especially in any cleanly broken and shiny areas, and around the edges. Do not "featheredge" or extend the repair. These are not structural repairs. You only want to replace the missing material and recreate the smooth surface.

Add a dam to the side surface first so that the larger area faces up. Scotch tape or any clear tape works well. Use multiple layers or even go to a card stock plastic (report covers) if you need to but the dam needs to follow the original contour and will recreate the new surface exactly where the old surface was if done properly.

Now fill the recess with epoxy dyed to match your hull. Focus on the deep corners first. Sometimes its easiest to "paint" some epoxy in before even attaching the first dam. Then fill the entire void to level or slightly above and apply another dam to recreate that surface. Apply it first away from the corner and then towards the corner so excess is pushed out the seam. The seam is easily dressed slightly with a blade after cure. The flush areas not so much. If you screw up remove the epoxy, wipe clean with 90% alcohol, and get it right the next time.

I even use this method when repairing hatch cracks etc, and on both sides. Also for sharpening strakes and hull trailing edges. Works great.

thanks for your response and tips,
    for the tips of the boat it is best to apply and mold epoxy with a toothpick and finish with heat gun so that it becomes smooth.
    I also read that you can put wax paper over the eboxy.

you will not get a color difference, it is also matte black. and it is slightly rough
    I also have and zelos 36 but it seems more like there is a clear coat layer on it.

Thumbs up

thanks for your response and tips
    for the tips of the boat it is best to apply and mold epoxy with a toothpick and finish with heat gun so that it becomes smooth.
    I also read that you can put wax paper over the eboxy.

you will not get a color difference, it is also matte black. and it is slightly rough
    I also have and zelos 36 but it seems more like there is a clear coat layer on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

and what can I do with this?