Thread: Rescue boat

Default Rescue boat

Started a scratch build on a rescue boat today got a good start. As of right now I'm under 20 bucks. I think I already have most of what I need except a motor. Not sure if I wanna go with some airboat style setup outrunners, or flex driven since I have some extra stuff laying around. I saw that rc pool leaf boat and other ideas and just started building with no real plans. Here's some pics, nothing fancy and I wanna Finnish it up with a sea tow rescue color scheme. I literally just put this together in a few hours including home Depot(5mm underlayment wood sheet 14$)&(4$ great stuff expanding foam for sponsoons) run twice just grabbed two sheets. Any feedback on ideas greatly appreciated still needs a lot of work . Electronics will be under the helm I prefabbed and need to add more support for the platform.IMG_20190616_151525569.jpgIMG_20190616_153025286.jpgIMG_20190616_154942305.jpgIMG_20190616_155532953.jpgIMG_20190616_165656688.jpg

More pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Maybe 2 outrunners off the back?

Made a little door and ladder today.
    Also gonna make the entire center section removable. Thinking some posts with clips for easy transfer, have alot of old car stuff laying around.

So cool!
    I found that longer booms help cradle boats longwise when rescuing.
    Also, the curved up sponsons can climb up on low decks, like hydros.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Good info, thanks . The square deck is just sitting in the cutout as well as the helm, plus haven't skinned up the sponson yet. I was thinking they needed to be a little longer as well not to late yet.
    Thinking maybe twin edfs.maybe maybe add some pushers on the deck?
    Last edited by Zzoom; 06-18-2019 at 07:19 AM.

Getting some coats on

Coming along, gotta a little time in on her today

Cool build!

Here's the rescue boat we use - simple but effective...beats swimming every time lol!

IMG-20190619-WA0008.jpg

Does the twin edfs push it pretty good and what kind of steering setup is it

Yeah it works very well, not very fast but enough power to bring a capsized boat back - for steering it has a rudder that folds down into the water (sorry not visible on the picture).

Quote Originally Posted by Zzoom View Post
    Does the twin edfs push it pretty good and what kind of steering setup is it

Cool project! Thinking about building a new rig myself, I also want to go with air-boat style since one side of my canal is all weeds.

retrieval rig.jpg

This is what I built.
    Ron - The Villages, FL

https://castawaysboatworx.org/

Gotta figure how the rescuing part is gonna work. It might drive over top and if that's the case maybe add something in the back underneath to cradle the boat. Pushers in the front deck or seen some use rope with small floats and snag the boats that way. Need to do a float test with some weight on it and see where she sits. She still needs some decals and gonna add a few more decorative touches. It's looking good now to make it funtion.
    Last edited by Zzoom; 06-26-2019 at 09:53 PM.

Got a few goodies in. esc,motors, n mounts I'm gonna try n make a swivel for motors to mount and steer it that way

Love the sticker. Hope it does 88mph
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Haha I saw it n had to put it on

Just finished my "rescue boat", and platform. I decided to go with separate boat & platform, and it allowed me to use the "rescue boat" for pleasure...and, if it were needing to be rescued, the platform is designed in such a way that another/larger boat could be used to rescue the "rescue boat". Additionally, I designed the platform in stock a way that it can be folded when not in use, taking up almost half the space. Here's the platform:

As for the "rescue boat", I bought a ProBoat ShockWave. I know...it's not designed to be a "rescue boat"...but, again, it's 'dual-purpose'. I'll have two canopies - for for 'pleasure' use, and one for 'rescue use'. When used for rescue, the 'rescue' canopy has a FatShark FPV camera mounted on the canopy. For viewing, I've mounted the Spektrum monitor onto the Tx. This way, when driving the boat out to the boat getting rescued, I can watch my boat...then, once I have my boat positioned behind the boat being rescues, I switch to viewing the monitor...come in behind the boat, scoop it up, and return to shore. Best of all, as the monitor has a microSD slot, I can record the entire rescue.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place