Thread: carbon fiber reinforcement

Default carbon fiber reinforcement

What weight of carbon fiber fabric should I use to reinforce a fiberglass hull?

I use a standard 2x2 weave 3K cloth. It still conforms to the corners well enough. I've used multiple layers on particularly flimsy sections of some hulls, or in problem spots like seams.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    I use a standard 2x2 weave 3K cloth. It still conforms to the corners well enough. I've used multiple layers on particularly flimsy sections of some hulls, or in problem spots like seams.
    Thank you sir. That will help me out, any particular suppliers you prefer?

You can get plain weave carbon cloth or twill, the twill is easier to use on compound curves & into corners etc. Personally i prefer twill as it stays flatter easier in these areas, plain weave can lift in these areas once wetted out with resin before the resin cures.

Yep, what I use is a twill weave. I misspoke when I said plain.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    You can get plain weave carbon cloth or twill, the twill is easier to use on compound curves & into corners etc. Personally i prefer twill as it stays flatter easier in these areas, plain weave can lift in these areas once wetted out with resin before the resin cures.
    Thanks guys. Greatly appreciated. I like that combo kit with the resin. Would Gflex epoxy work as well or should I go with a resin and hardener intended for carbon fiber?

Quote Originally Posted by tjj atx View Post
    Thanks guys. Greatly appreciated. I like that combo kit with the resin. Would Gflex epoxy work as well or should I go with a resin and hardener intended for carbon fiber?
    No you want a laminating type resin & hardener like west 105 resin + the appropriate hardener to use on carbon or glass cloth ( other makes available ). Gflex is a thicker adhesive for bonding.

Thanks again guys. All your responses have been more than helpful.