Thread: Scarab Pics

Wow that is some beautiful work! You molded this yourself right? Can you mold me a cockpit insert? What is it's width? I'd have to heavily modify it to fit my hull so one light layer of mat would be plenty but at least it would be better than starting with a sheet of birch ply.

Yupp...all OCD me lol!
    The cock pit is molded in the deck...
    If you mock up the cockpit with birtch ply, plywood, basswood, whatever...make a mold of it and cast your piece. Its not as hard as it looks. If you use PVA mold release (spraying is best) you're golden.
    When I start casting pieces I'll can hook you up.
    The side air vents came out really nice
    South Jersey Vice

Yupp...all OCD me lol!
    The cock pit is molded in the deck...
    If you mock up the cockpit with birtch ply, plywood, basswood, whatever...make a mold of it and cast your piece. Its not as hard as it looks. If you use PVA mold release (spraying is best) you're golden.
    When I start casting pieces I'll can hook you up.
    The side air vents came out really nice
    South Jersey Vice

I see no side air vents? I need those but will add them later along with everything else for scale fittings. How did you duplicate the upholstery "texture" on the seats?

Check out FreKote by Henkel/Loctite.

The upholstery came out really nice from the 3d scan...the side padding panels not so much. I had to eliminate them from the 3D print. When you enlarge something 445% sometimes things turn to unusable *!***!***!***!**...
    Here's some pics of the vents. Mid 80's Scarabs had two size vents...

20190609_212826.jpg20190609_212850.jpg20190609_213012.jpg
    South Jersey Vice

Nice work! A tip for future photos - hold the phone horizontally when taking the photos so the pics are correctly oriented.
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Never considered the scale modeling possibilities with 3D printing for some reason!! I do what I can with a band saw, belt/disc, and hand tools. My plan for the hatch lids was a piece of alu sheet with a beveled edge and a black vinyl decal for smoked glass. All those details are on the back burner though until the boat runs strong.