Thread: JAE 21 outboard electric conversion help needed

Default JAE 21 outboard electric conversion help needed

I'm going to start building a JAE 21 outboard kit from zipp soon, I have a K&B 3.5 outboard that I intend to put on it, but now I'm kicking around going electric instead. I searched and didn't see much related to fe outboard riggers... Anyone know what motor specs I should be going for with the K&B lower and 5S? looking for 80-90MPH...

I built this boat. it's a little challenging to get everything to fit. I run a castle 1415 2600 kv motor on 4s and an old hyperformance lower. It's running high 60s now but I'm sure I can hit 70s with the right prop. A better lower and a different motor might get you in the 80s but the problem is there's not very much room for all the equipment. I had to add 3 oz. of lead in the tail to get CG right so a heavier motor than mine is not a bad idea.

Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the info Mark. The kit’s still in the mail and I can’t seem to find the specs: how long is the hull? Would fitting a 5s pack be impossible?

Yes a 5s will just fit. The tub is 28.5" long. I put the servo in the rear compartment, the esc and receiver in the middle and the battery in the front. The kit wants you to put the servo in the front but I wanted that area for the battery since there is more room up there. You will see when you get the kit.

Great info, it really helps to have found someone who has already tried this. Let me ask this- if you had to add 3oz. weight to the rear, what if I used an old 7.5 K&B lower I have with a larger 40mm motor? Or would that just look ridiculous and/or sink?

I used the motor I did because I had one laying around. I wouldn't have a problem using a 4050 or 4060 motor on the back of this boat.