Thread: Outboard Delta Force 26

Default Outboard Delta Force 26

Ok so Im finishing up a build that might be a turd but I had the time and figured I’d try. I’ve put a HobbyKing 2630kv Outboard on a Delta Force 26 with a Seaking Pro 120a ESC. I had to build a Stand-Off Bracket to mount the motor to be able to gain trim and to allow the motor to clar the hull. I’m waiting for my through hull pick ups but because it’s an outboard and I’m running two pick ups does it matter what side of the hull they are installed? I know that on an inboard it’s best to put them on the rotation side of the motor/prop but I’ve never used an outboard. Also should I add Trim Tabs or try it first. Any suggestions besides scrapping the project would be great. Thanks
    Too Many Boats........So My Wife Says Anyway.

go slow

one motor will snap flexies easily, I ran twins to ease the load and was still unhappy at the breakage

650EP.jpg

then swapped to these
    cowls.jpg

Was it the bigger motor that broke the shaft or the smaller set? I know a guy who had one break just testing it. It was the smaller style though.

smaller motors broke the flexie's, one broke reving the motor to test it before it hit the water, I made my own better flex shafts but they too break (not as often but still break when you run them hard)

the radius on the CNC'd gearfoot that the flexie rides in is too tight a turn for the shafts........period

thats why the upgrade to the bigger motors, they sure dont look as nice but they dont break the shafts

Ok I understand, Thanks for the heads up. That would definitely suck to break it first pass. I appreciate your help

I finished it up this morning. I ended up adding an exterior pickup to the side of the motor and a through hull pickup for the esc. I had to make the through hull pickup from a bulkhead fitting because the USPS lost my order yesterday. It’s not really the best but it should work. I also tested the motor and luckily nothing broke yet. I’ll heed your warning because it’s never fun to lose a prop or break a shaft.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Too Many Boats........So My Wife Says Anyway.

with that motor your using I snapped so many shafts trying to get those EP650 motors to work that I made some prop savers.......look at the upgraded motors in the above photos and see the stainless steel wire I used to stop the prop from walking out when a shaft breaks....it works

It runs in the prop wash and doesnt slow you down...... my gps cant tell they are back there

Hi guys ,
    Just stumbled on ur post. Here a suggestion for ya. I have a nitro 20 rigger with a kB 3-5 outboard on it.i raced it and run for records with it long ago. It would sing and spin up to around 30,00O rpm. I use to snap shafts to all the time till I did this mod. I drilled a hole in the top area kinda where those 3 screws are one the outdrive just under the motor. The hole is drilled in the middle of the shaft cavity on the alum drive. I use the stainless sleeve instead of the nylon tube. I drilled matching hole in that liner. Then I threaded a nipple fitting into the alum. I made a mixture of stp oil and grease mix. Before every run I would inject that mix into the fitting . You don’t need the fitting you can just use the hole you drilled . Fill her up ever run and no more shaft breaks. It work for me on my kB stuff maybe it will help you. Tip, don’t rev up the motor on the bench cause you loose some lube. Fire up and launch . The grease mix works it way down the shaft lubing it. Good luck guys