Thread: proboat sonicwake overheating

Default proboat sonicwake overheating

IMG_2650.jpg im running 2 3s 60c 5000mah lipos, some shrink wrap has been melting and i just noticed some solder coming from the capacitors (i think capacitor) in between the esc and batteries. Are the 60c lipos too much?

i had to solder on ec5 connectors onto my batteries and i think one of the connections was bad. It melted the joint at the connection i soldered it came apart stranding the boat. Maybe this is left over from then and i didn't notice it. i since then have fixed it but am worried about doing more damage
    Last edited by jhurlbert; 05-18-2019 at 10:40 AM.

shouldn't the esc only be demanding as much power as it is designed for and in theory not damage it self? i am still running a stock boat
    Last edited by jhurlbert; 05-18-2019 at 11:46 AM.

I would check all solder joints...i run 70 -120 c 5000 in mine all stock except Dasboata prop and no issues....batteries slighly warm....

poorly soldered connectors create resistance therefore making alot of heat .resolder then try again and report back .
    volantex vector pro ,proboat veles 29 , traxxas spartan, hobbyking/tfl pursuit ,ft009 with rescue rigging

Also, I would clean all the connectors with a little bit of baking soda and water. Just like your car battery, after a while they will start producing there own insulation at the connection. Another thing I caught was that after connecting and disconnecting the metal fittings get kinda loose therefor not a good connection (then causing heat). When that happens I spread my female ends with a ball pointed end of an allen wrench (if you understand what I mean) to open it up enough to get a tight fit.

Something to check out.

I also agree with boatsrnew2me as well. Been there done that (poorly soldered) To much in a hurry.

ok so i originally solderd connectors onto my batteries.(thats when i had a bad connection) i didnt know how much of a pain in the ass soldering 10awg wire to ec5 connectors is. so i eliminated that and just bought pigtales with wires already solderd to connectors. i then cut off my crappy solderd connectors off my batteries and solderd on my pigtales taking my time and it seems ok.

i also got the dasboata prop and its sweet, went through two sets of batteries today and i dont think the motor got over 100F. the esc was around 128F, but my wires going from the esc to the motor got to 148F. Hot enough to make the heat shrink stick together a little. the joints i re solderd for my batteries werent so bad they were about 132F.

the only thing i can think of now with the almost 150 degree wires is that its normal or i damaged the connectors somehow when i had a bad soldered connection. but that was on the battery side of the esc not the motor side.
    Last edited by jhurlbert; 06-01-2019 at 03:16 PM.

im probably just runing the boat too hard on 6s

I have had the capacitors blowup on my first run. Horizon sent me a new esc and the solder joint failed on my second run. They sent me a third but I?m not putting it in. Ordered a seaking 180amp and a leopard 1800kv 4082. It?s going to take some modifications to make them fit to say the least but working on it now

my sonicwake keeps on melting my batteries. what could i do .i lost three 22 volt lipos. getting hot . the orignal esc burned up also. now using 180v seaking esc now . with 54mm prop

That's a bit much on the prop for that setup.....probably why you're gettin hot.....try the stock prop or one of Chris's dasboata props...

Im running a drprops tornado 45mm with a seaking 180 on 6s and the thing still runs crazy hot after a couple of passes. But prob does over 65mph, its fun but i kind of want to put the stock prop back of for longer run times