Thread: Air Dam?

Default Air Dam?

I am wanting to make an air dam that is a little more permant than hatch tape. I would like any suggestions. This is what I have in mind....I am thinking of using aileron material you can get from a hobby shop for a r/c plane. Basically it is triangle shaped balsa with a leading edge thicker than the trailing edge. I am considering doing it like the recovery pand on the Top Speed II. Just cut the dam to length, coat and it with epoxy to waterproof and attach it with double stick tape. Does this sound like a good idea? Would the front end of the air dam be the flat side or the tapered side? How thick should it be?
    Thanks, Alvin

Alvin I used a piece of clear wallpaper corner moulding. I trimmed it down to the recomended 1/2" using a small plainer and attached it with servo tape. It`s semi permanant and looks factory. I made a couple up for the guys at the club cause I know they`ll want one when they see mine.

Here`s a pic. If you can find clear 2 sided tape it would even look better.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kfoss1; 01-06-2009 at 04:47 PM.

Question

I dont get this air dam stuff
    I know Brian started it so it must work...but...
    if this is to help the boat not blow over, why not use a better wing shape on the top side of the boat to push the nose down and have less air resistance ?
    Berry

:D

Because then you'd have to understand aerodynamics.

Andy
    Spektrum Development Team

Cool

I dont get this air dam stuff I know Brian started it so it must work...but...if this is to help the boat not blow over, why not use a better wing shape on the top side of the boat to push the nose down and have less air resistance ?
    Brian didn't "start" it, we were using air dams decades before Brian ran his first FE boat. You can build the boat to have the correct amount of lift and downforce - that's what Aquacraft did! But the amount of force changes with the speed, and a boat that has optimum aerodynamics at 40 mph probably won't have them at 65 mph.

The air dam - or tunnel spoiler - or turbulator - interrupts the airflow in the tunnel, "spoiling" some of the lift produced. It adds drag of course - virtually all aerodymanic add-ons do - but the end result is higher speeds because the boat stays on the water. It is a cheap and easy mod with excellent results.

Jay, I'll give it a try now the lakes are no longer frozen up here and after I repair the damage that fountain installation did to my hull...

...at 65 mph I mean
    Berry

I mite take the wing off my 1/8 scale Vorza buggy and put on the top front of my ul1 for added down force.I feel like an idiot saying that and would feel even worse if I actually did it and took it out into the public eye.Nevermind that.You have a very nice looking air damn on yours kfoss 1.Looks professional.I wouldnt worry about the black tape though.Its on the bottom.