Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: 48 inch open mono race build info

  1. #1

    Default 48 inch open mono race build info

    Hey guys, I am a gas racer looking to build a 48 inch ARD Assault mono for the open mono class in my district. I scrolled through a bunch of threads here on the site and one common theme seems to be the castle 2028 motor. Seen a lot of different ESC’s used, Castle, MGM etc. This would not be my first FE boat but definitely the first one this large. I wanna make sure it’s durable and plenty fast. I already know the hull is the best rough water mono around for heat racing (IMO). Thanks for any and all help and suggestions. John


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JD/QD; 05-16-2019 at 01:57 PM.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JD/QD View Post
    Hey guys, I am a gas racer looking to build a 48 inch ARD Assault mono for the open mono class in my district. I scrolled through a bunch of threads here on the site and one common theme seems to be the castle 2028 motor. Seen a lot of different ESC’s used, Castle, MGM etc. This would not be my first FE boat but definitely the first one this large. I wanna make sure it’s durable and plenty fast. I already know the hull is the best rough water mono around for heat racing (IMO). Thanks for any and all help and suggestions. John


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What's your budget? Low end would be the 2028 and etti 220 esc

  3. #3

    Default

    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...or-John-Snider

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XeOsbN1Ik8

    NEU 2230 1Y 725kv, Castle Hydra HV200, M cut Octura X465, 10s2P.

    This set up (as is) held the IMPBA T Mono 1/3 mile oval record and still holds the 1/4 mile oval record.

    And Ken, it will hold the 1/3 record again...
    TOY BOAT RACER
    IMPBA Dist.13 Director
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887CD
    NAMBA 1169

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meangenesracing View Post
    What's your budget? Low end would be the 2028 and etti 220 esc
    Hey Gene, thanks for the reply. Low end is fine with me as long as it can get the job done repeatedly. How hard would I be pushing that motor? How long can the bigger motors go between rebuilds if they need to be rebuilt at all?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smock View Post
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...or-John-Snider

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XeOsbN1Ik8

    NEU 2230 1Y 725kv, Castle Hydra HV200, M cut Octura X465, 10s2P.

    This set up (as is) held the IMPBA T Mono 1/3 mile oval record and still holds the 1/4 mile oval recorquited.

    And Ken, it will hold the 1/3 record again...
    Doug, thanks for your response. That boat is impressive, the price on the motor is as well, lol. Any idea what the top speed was in that video?
    I’ve seen quite a few gas Speedcrafts run well also. Does Castle still make those ESC’s? I thought I heard they were not.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JD/QD View Post
    Doug, thanks for your response. That boat is impressive, the price on the motor is as well, lol. Any idea what the top speed was in that video?
    I’ve seen quite a few gas Speedcrafts run well also. Does Castle still make those ESC’s? I thought I heard they were not.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I never put a GPS in the boat but it will run with the best out there. The motor doesn't know it's in the boat. I'd love to put it in a 54-55" boat with more control.
    I had no idea the motor was 8 bills now. Yes Castle is gone. Etti, ZTW, or Swordfish would be your go to control now.
    TOY BOAT RACER
    IMPBA Dist.13 Director
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887CD
    NAMBA 1169

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JD/QD View Post
    Hey Gene, thanks for the reply. Low end is fine with me as long as it can get the job done repeatedly. How hard would I be pushing that motor? How long can the bigger motors go between rebuilds if they need to be rebuilt at all?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I personally have never had an issue with the Castle 2028 and see many people on here use them. For the price imo can't be beat. Maybe someone else can chime in here. And I prefer the etti esc's a little hard sometimes to program you need a quiet place and need to concentrate on the beeps and tones.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smock View Post
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...or-John-Snider

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XeOsbN1Ik8

    NEU 2230 1Y 725kv, Castle Hydra HV200, M cut Octura X465, 10s2P.

    This set up (as is) held the IMPBA T Mono 1/3 mile oval record and still holds the 1/4 mile oval record.

    And Ken, it will hold the 1/3 record again...
    Hey Doug, what's an M cut on a prop? Thanks bud.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meangenesracing View Post
    Hey Doug, what's an M cut on a prop? Thanks bud.
    Hey Geno,

    I cut the tongue off like the M series Octuras. https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...ctura+M+Series
    They are progressive pitch props so the tongue can keep you from getting the most out of the prop. You can see in the video that the boat doesn't need the additional blade area to get up. I wish they offered the whole X series in a M series. It sure would save a lot of work.
    TOY BOAT RACER
    IMPBA Dist.13 Director
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887CD
    NAMBA 1169

  10. #10

    Default 48 inch open mono race build info

    Thanks for the info Gene and Doug. I talked to Ken Haines at our race In Broward this weekend and picked his brain a bit. He likes the Neu 2230 motor as well.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11

    Default

    Can’t go wrong with a castle 2028 and swordfish 300x

  12. #12

    Default

    Thanks for the suggestion Ray. This type of set up would need to be run on 10S correct?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13

    Default

    Yes.. or 8s.. I’ve run it both ways.. 8s I run a 72mm prop.. 10s a 63mm prop

  14. #14

    Default

    The price on the 2028 seems legit.
    http://www.castlecreations.com/en/20...or-060-0054-00
    TOY BOAT RACER
    IMPBA Dist.13 Director
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887CD
    NAMBA 1169

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rayzerdesigns View Post
    Yes.. or 8s.. I’ve run it both ways.. 8s I run a 72mm prop.. 10s a 63mm prop
    Again, good info, thanks. 2 or 3 blade? I believe someone said a 270/2 for their 2230/ hydra setup?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smock View Post
    I agree Doug, lol. In the future I wouldn’t mind laying out the money for the Neu motor. Just don’t know if it’s worth it right out of the gate without knowing if the open mono class is going to last. We did have a pretty good turnout this last weekend though.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #17

    Default

    I almost hate to ask this last question because it’s probably going to be like someone asking which two stroke oil to use over on the gas forum but… Any recommendations for batteries for this type of set up? Are you guys using four packs whether 8S or 10S for the extra weight and/or COG adjustability?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #18

    Default

    MHZ – Scorpion Motor HK-5035 - 760kV

    Max Continuous Power: 5800 Watts
    Maximal Peak Power: 8100 Watts

    Incredible weight/power ratio
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Alfa Spirit; 05-23-2019 at 02:14 AM.

  19. #19

    Default

    Giant Power 170c 5-6000 mah 10s 2p (4 packs)

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •