Thread: Batteries finish race?

Default Batteries finish race?

Do you think this battery run in series to make 4S is enough to finish a impba sanctioned race?

Graphene 2.0 70C LiPo Batteries
    New Graphene 2.0 Technology
    Light weight high energy density!
    Massive punch with 70-140C rating
    Lower voltage drop under continuous high amp loads
    Cooler running due to lower internal resistance (IR)
    Superior cycle life, less voltage degradation over time
    Durable reinforced soft pack

We need to know the capacity of the battery and what class you're running in order to help you.
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Graphene 2s
    6000 mah
    70c-140c
    I bought them to race in P limited hydro and cat. I thought 4S in parallel would be too heavy.

6000ma should be ample for a "P" ltd setup. It also depends on how aggressive you are with propellers. Before you assume that a parallel setup would be too heavy try it in actual heat racing. I have several 5000 to 6000ma 2S batteries for series and find that my parallel 3000 and 3300ma (6000-6600ma total) though heavier will outperform especially in laps 3-6. Next do not fall for advertising "hype". There are no industry standards for C ratings. Stay with recognized brands that are used in competition.
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

Quote Originally Posted by HTVboats View Post
    6000ma should be ample for a "P" ltd setup. It also depends on how aggressive you are with propellers. Before you assume that a parallel setup would be too heavy try it in actual heat racing. I have several 5000 to 6000ma 2S batteries for series and find that my parallel 3000 and 3300ma (6000-6600ma total) though heavier will outperform especially in laps 3-6. Next do not fall for advertising "hype". There are no industry standards for C ratings. Stay with recognized brands that are used in competition.
    Mic

I'm a little worried now and should ofwent with the 4S in parallel.. I'm thinking that my lvc will kick in before the race is done. Do you have an idea of how long 6 laps usually takes say with a p spec hydro? Just a ballpark number would be great.
    Truckpull gave me a lot of good information on batteries that's why I went with this brand. He did mention that I should go with two 4S in parallel.

The Giant Power packs are about the best packs for FE boats.
    2 -2S -6000mAh packs in series will give you a 4S - 6000mAh

A Cat and a Sport Hydro will use a lot less Amps then say a Mono.

A Spec Sport Hydro race takes less then 2 minutes.
    30 sec. for a slow mill lap then 90 sec. MAX of racing.
    So 6000 mAh should be lots unless you have a very poor setup.

As MIC stated above, you may need 2 - 4S packs for balance, or weight.

Give your setup a try first before going to the 2 -4S packs.

I myself used 2 - 5000 2S packs in series for years. in my P Spec Sport Hydro.

Larry
    Past NAMBA- P Mono -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Past NAMBA- P Sport -1 Mile Race Record holder
    Bump & Grind Racing Props -We Like Em Smooth & Wet

I'm thinking that my lvc will kick in before the race is done. Do you have an idea of how long 6 laps usually takes say with a p spec hydro? Just a ballpark number would be great.....
    If you cannot finish a 6-lap heat in 2 minutes on decent water you have other problems. My Limited Motley Crew used around 3500 mAh in a 6-lap heat plus mill, heck even my full-P Cheetah normally used around 4500-5000 mAh. Your 6000 packs will be fine.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I bought 4 battery alarm buzzers one for each battery. I'm thinking of setting them at 3.8 do you think I should go any lower than that?

Jerry

You can do if you are short on run time for sure. The commonly recommended compromise between runtime and battery lifespan is to leave 20% in the battery, which will be a resting voltage of 3.7V/cell, voltage drop during use means that the alarm would need to be set to less than that so they recover to 3.7 after use.

A cutoff at 3.8V/cell will probably hit when you have used somewhere in the region of half your pack's capacity and your packs will last longer than most peoples that run to a cutoff.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

I know there hasn't been anything in here in just over a year, so thought I might inject a little new life into it.

I only recently got into FE, coming primarily from off-road (buggies, truggies, SCTs) & crawling, starting with a SonicWake, and then picking up a Shockwave. I'm already to the point that I know I want to get involved in NAMBA racing. My plan is to start in P-Limited with a V (OSE Raider M34), and then add P-open with a cat (ProMarine Skater X2).

Coming from off-road, I've had excellent results with ProTek Graphene, SMC, and Gens Ace hardcase batteries, plus a few soft pack ProTeks for two of my crawlers. For the two ProBoats, I'm currently running PowerHobby & HRB soft packs. However, for the Raider M34 & Skater X2, I want to get quality packs. The problem is, I don't know what, specifically, to get.

Normally, I'd go to 1-3 races, and talk to other racers...but, work this COVID-19 garbage going on, all races have been cancelled, thus I have no one to ask in-person. I do know that packs with 10AWG wiring would be preferred over 12AWG. I also know soft packs are preferred over hardcases. I'm assuming that Graphene LiPos would be preferential over standard LiPos.

Unfortunately, for racing boats, that's the extent of my knowledge, and where I could really use the assistance of others. First thing is, what brands are considered the best among racers? Second, is going with Graphene LiPos good, or should I stick with standard LiPos? Third, in regards to the Raider, would it be best to go with larger capacity 4S packs, larger capacity 2S packs in series, or smaller capacity 4S packs in parallel? Fourth, for each boat, what might be the best capacity to consider (understanding that increasing capacity also increases weight)?

Finally...and, my apologies if my wording is a bit confusing...in regards to the Skater X2, I'm not entirely understanding the voltage/capacity rules for P-open. Since there are 2 motors/ESCs, with each 'drivetrain' requiring it's own battery, would two 4S packs (one for each 'drivetrain') still be considered as 4S, or does that get considered as 8S? In other words, since P-open voltage is limited to 4S, in using a dual motor/ESC setup, can two 4S packs be used, or would I be limited to to 2S? I have to ask this because, again, the wording of this section in the NAMBA rules is somewhat "confusing". One subsection of the rules makes it appears as if two 4S can be used (since each motor/ESC is powered by its own battery), yet another subsection makes it appears as if all batteries used (in whatever configuration) can add up to no more that 4S.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

For total pack mAh it depends what organization you want to race with?
    NAMBA or IMPBA the rules are different.
    Full rules can be found online.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by TRUCKPULL View Post
    For total pack mAh it depends what organization you want to race with?
    NAMBA or IMPBA the rules are different.
    Full rules can be found online.

Larry
    I stated NAMBA. The P-Limited, as well as single motor/ESC P-open, rules are clearly stated...either a single large-capacity 4S, two smaller 4S in parallel, or two smaller 2S in series.

Unfortunately, regarding dual motors/ESCs, where each motor/ESC is powered by its own battery, the rules are not clear. Section 28, D-1-c-i states the maximum mAh capacity applies to "all motors combined". However, Section 28, D-1-c-ii states that the maximum mAh capacity applies "to each motor".

These two rule subsets are, very clearly, in contradiction to each other. So, nstead of directing me back to what I already stated I have read, so as to be helpful to all people, could you actually answer the question?

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Did you read the rules about the total mAh of batteries that you are allowed to carry onboard your boat in a race??

Larry

Did you read the rules about the total mAh of batteries that you are allowed to carry onboard your boat in a race??

Larry
    Specifically, what rule is that? Please state the section, subsection, and so forth. Not asking you to quote the role...just state exactly where in the rules it can be found.

NAMBA rules - Electric - section - 28 - page 5 - D - a - in the chart on the right hand side - these are the max mAh of batteries allowed onboard each class and size of boat.

Larry

PS - also note in the rules that any boat over 10S is not Insured under NAMBA or IMPBA- which also means that they CANNOT run on any insured water of either organization . NOT even for fun or demonstration.

NAMBA rules - Electric - section - 28 - page 5 - D - a - in the chart on the right hand side - these are the max mAh of batteries allowed onboard each class and size of boat.

Larry

PS - also note in the rules that any boat over 10S is not Insured under NAMBA or IMPBA- which also means that they CANNOT run on any insured water of either organization . NOT even for fun or demonstration.
    Understood...however, the 'Power Specification', as covered by Section28, subsection D-1-a does NOT specify that's a "per boat" capacity, nor does it specify it's a "pet motor" capacity. In fact, it doesn't specify anything other than some 'general' maximum mAh capacity. For single-motor/ESC boats, this would be obvious...but, in regards to classes allowing multiple motors, in NO area of this specific rule does it specify anything about whether the maximum mAh capacity applies to the boat, or to each motor/ESC.

Moving into two other rule subsections that are directly tied to the previously mentioned rule, Section 28, subsection D-1-c-i, states the following:
    "Each motor must see a nominal voltage within the Power Specification. The mAh capacity maximum within the same Power Specification is for all motors combined."

This would give the impression that, whether using 2 motors, or 4 motors (I know, there's no such thing...but, bear with me on this example), all motors can use no more than a combined 10K mAh capacity.

However...here comes the rule that appears to contradict the previous rule...Section 28, subsection D-1-c-ii, states the following:
    "The sum of the nominal voltages powering each motor must be within the Power Specifications. The mAh capacity maximum within the same Power Specifications is for each motor."

While the first sentence of this rule clearly indicates that each motor cannot exceed the voltage limitations, it's the second sentence that I'm referring to, as this would give the impression that each motor (and thus, each ESC) can have up to a maximum 10K mAh battery. As such, based on this understanding, a dual-motor/ESC configuration would be allowed up to 20K mAh in total power, based on a 10L mAh maximum for each motor. When reading it exactly as worded, this implies that each motor is limited to a maximum capacity of 10K mAh...although, if going this route, it also appears that each motor would then be limited to a 2S battery (ie. the "sum of the nominal voltages" portion).

I think I've just figured it out, based on Section 28, D-1-c, which states:
    "There are two acceptable multi-motor configurations for the Power Specifications that allow multiple motors".

It seems, for vessels with multiple motors, drivers have two options they can select from:

1) Can use two 4S packs, one for each motor, but the combined mAh capacity of both, combined, cannot exceed 10K mAh.
    2) Can use two 2S packs, one for each motor, and EACH of those 2S packs can be up to 10K mAh.

I believe we have a "winner".

IN my twin boats - I wire them so that each motor sees both batteries (Two 6S - 5,000's - 10,000 total on board)
    This way towards the end of a race after turning right - one of the motors does not see a different voltage then the other.

The chart says 10,000 max. -- the chart is showing this MAX for all boats from "N" to "Q" no mater if you run one or any amount of motors.
    You mentioned 4 motor earlier, I have seen 6 motors, driving two props, in one boat many years ago.

Larry