Thread: Choosing the right prop.... Help please

Default Choosing the right prop.... Help please

Hi guys thanks for looking on. I'm looking for help in choosing a nice prop to finish up my proboat build. I'll be running a 4082 and seaking 180esc. Many have said the ABC 1816-17-45 would be a great prop for this set up and wanted to hear from the forum as everyone has their own likes and tastes.I'm far from making 3 passes and calling it a day as I had my fill running 100+ speed runs in rc cars. I'm not one for buying 10 props either as my boat will only be used here and there as I'm a dirt basher guy at heart. Thanks for the help guys, Peace

Nobody can answer that using the info you have given, we need more info than that, the more info the better.

What is the KV of the 4082?

How many cells will you be running it on?

Which Proboat hull is it?

That will give people a good guess based on what they would want from the boat, but more info is better.

What sort of speed are you looking for? This ties in with runtime as the bigger the prop the higher the speed and the lower the runtime, but also with the hull as hulls are capable of very different speeds before they start getting out of shape in typical waters, and when they do get out of shape, some are plastic and some are glass so the speeds they can survive a flip at without reinforcing are different, I would guess that you don't want to get into reinforcing your boat for high speeds, but proboats are pretty well engineered for the power they come with so if you want more speed from your big aftermarket motor rather than cooler temps it might be advisable.

You say you are after more than a few passes which is a good start, but what sort of runtime do you want, there is a big difference in the 1-2 minutes a Namba oval racer might assume and the 5-6 minutes a Naviga racer might assume, or you might be filling it with batteries trying to get 10+ mins.

What is your typical water? I run in a 70m X 90m lake with hard sides and trees on 3 banks, it rarely gets windy enough to flip boats with aero, and there is never a swell to launch boats, but it does for pointy little clapotic waves that can
    bury noses, and trip boats over. Speeds over about 70mph aren't suitable, and that is only if they turn very well.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Hi there thanks for the response. To answer a few questions you have asked it's a 4082 1650kv motor. I will be running on glass 80% of the time unless I go to a buddies cottage here and there to run and that's on the lake. I will be running 6s ONLY. The hull is the proboat Veles 29. I'd like to be a solid 70 on a full 6s run pack and looking for runtime in the neighborhood of 8-10 minutes.

Cool

To attain speeds around 70 mph you can try an x646 prop. To get ten minutes of run time you’ll need to fill the boat with packs or run a lot at part throttle (there are problems doing that). Example, it you have 10,000 mAh of LiPos in the boat and average 100 amps you can safely run for less than five minutes. What ESC are you using?

You’d best strengthen the hull, a crash at 70+ mph can tear it apart. Reinforce the seam with fiberglass at the least. And be certain to pack in plenty of extra floatation both inside the hull and on the underside of the hatch.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I'm running the seaking 180

The SK-180 should be fine for that setup, plenty of headroom as long as you don’t go crazy with prop size.
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for