Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HK Genesis Build/Help

Thanks a ton for the help guys! I've got a couple of ABC props on the way from the store here, and have also started to get the rear "tub" areas filled. I'm hoping to get it back on the water this week, but either way I'll let you know how everything works.

Alfa Spirit, the Offshore Race Team sticker/logo looks awesome. I'll have to get some printed up. Somebody's gonna have to do a hull with these as the main theme!

Quote Originally Posted by Jmeans146 View Post
    Alright,

I did some upgrades to my Genesis. I installed a new TP 4060 Motor 1650Kv 6D wind, and a Seaking 180A ESC. I also made the battery trays longer, giving me more adjustment to the rear. I'm running this setup on 6s, but am disappointed with the results. While the boat is quite fast and has great acceleration, I still feel that the hull runs too wet. I have not once had to worry about the hull flipping from running too dry. I have had the strut at a raised position, I'd say about 3mm up, but maybe I've gone too far? On my last run I adjusted the strut angle so that the front of the prop pointed into the water more, and this made the hull run better, but still wetter than it should run. I've been using Octura X445 and X645, and am planning on getting some ABC props next.

With the new motor and ESC, the hull currently weighs 111oz, and the center of weight is at 31.8% before batteries. I had to make my battery trays longer to put the weight farther back, and I feel like with the batteries in the back this thing should be trying to flip over? Anybody have advise for what I should try, or what I may be doing wrong. I admit that my batteries are not the best, and I'll need to get a higher C rated battery next, but I'm kinda lost at this point.

https://youtu.be/qNY_wxuk9g4
    (not the best quality video)

I bought my orange/black Genesis from HK, and I had the same problem with it dragging it's tail, I tried everything to get it to plane, including dropping the strut all the way down. I finally found the reason it just wouldn't go up and ride the prop. You need to run a straight edge from the the front pad out to the strut and another down from the strut mount to see if the two are perpendicular where they intersect,if not then loosen the strut mount bolts and shim the top or bottom until it is. It seems the transom area on some of these hulls isn't even with the front pads. I bought a Blue and white hull from OSE and checked it. It's fine. Then you can line up the center of prop shaft with the front pads as a starting point. You may have to put your batteries forward some to keep the hull level once on plane,It should ride like a Hydro now. Have fun.
    Last edited by Grampy357; 08-08-2019 at 07:56 AM.

Well it's been a little while since I've gotten the Genesis back on the water, but I've made some changes and got it out on the lake this past weekend. The boat ran great, and had the attitude of the hull where I wanted it. I ended up filling the voids in the rear bottom of the hull with expandable foam, then cut down, and epoxied before paint. These areas are now nice and smooth, and don't cause any weird handling. I also went with some ABC props and had much better luck versus the Octura I had been trying. I ended up with a high speed of 75mph! Take a look at the changes I made to the hull, and a video:

https://youtu.be/NFOVFPyi2xk

I've also been working on a retrieval boat and after looking through all of the posts I could find, I completed mine. I made a pvc fan boat, with all the electronics on one post that folds down for storage. It works great, and was pretty low cost to build. Just pvc pipe and fittings, some aluminum pieces and your electronics of choice.

Lookin' good. What ABC prop did you switch to? That hull still has a few MPH left in it on 6S.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Nice job..!!! Really like how you filled the voids ...and did the dual water pickups...I usually run deep vee...but doin one of these for the winter ..... will do this on mine also...

Fweasel, I used the ABC 1816-17-45 (https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...7-45%282%29CLL) sharpened and balanced by myself for the 75mph run. Do you have any prop recommendations for getting a few more mph's out of it? I was also thinking of messing around with a shorter rudder.

Thanks 30nitro, I actually followed one of Fweasel's builds for alot of help with mine. His build definitely helped get me going in the right direction!

I cut my rudder about 1/4" below the water pickup. I've been running a Dasboata ABC 1915 17-45 prop. It runs 90mph on 6S and 103mph on 8S for saw passes.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Fweasel, thanks again for the tips on getting a little more speed. Hoping to get on the water again this weekend. I was also curious about the torque roll with your Genesis. Mine torque rolls pretty bad on acceleration but levels out once on plane. If I hit a wake or bump while on plane, the torque roll causes unstable handling instead of cutting straight through the wake. Does your have this kind of handling, or have you found a way to counter the torque roll? I realize it's a narrow hull, but just wondering if there's anything to be done.

As with most narrow cats, they're a handful until they're up on plane. I experimented with different props and found that the small diameter, higher pitch options made that characteristic worse which is how I settled on the 1915.

As for wakes, I try not to cross my own wake at speed, but on 6S, it runs just OK in unfavorable water. A lot of that could be differences in trim angle and cog setups between our two boats. Good luck this weekend!

Hi All,

Believe it or not, 2020 and this is the first time I have ever posted anything on a forum, so be gentle. Not even sure I have posted it the correct location.....

I have recently purchased a 2nd hand ready to run Genesis 1122 single prop with all electronics and controller (except Lipo battery) for $50 AU (about $30 US), and although I don't know a lot about RC Boats, it sounded like a bargain (and doesn't everyone love a bargain). It all looks pretty stock (and relatively good condition) from what I can see and what I have read, with HK branded electronic/receiver within.

Its mainly for my young fella (10) and I was after advice about the Lipo really. I'm not after break neck speeds that will alter the Space/Time continuum, its more about reliability at this stage and leaning about the boat/electronics along the way. Last thing I want to do is to be replacing electronics and servos that have been cooked by overly enthusiastic battery pack.

From what I have read a 4S 5000 M/ah Lipo will be more than enough or is it worth having 2 x 2S or 2 x 3S to spread the weight. I have read a bit about Lipo batteries, but I'm still not 100% certain.

If RC boating turns out to be our thing (there is a good chance), well look at some of the upgrade/other options or newer boats, but not at this stage.

Thank you in advance and any advice/guidance is much appreciated.

Regards
    Scott.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Scott,

Welcome to the forum, and the hobby for that matter. You'll want to run two batteries in that boat for better weight distribution. Since you're brand new, I would start with two 2S 5000mAh packs to be run in series for a 4S voltage. The buy in price will be less that running 3S packs and the slower speeds will keep things in check as you figure out what you want to break next. Keep in mind, your boat is the equivalent of a dragster, not a dirt oval track car. It's hull is long and narrow, with intentions of straight line, fast runs. Turning at speed is not it's strong point. Keeping the speeds lower will also help reduce the likelyhood of blow overs and barrel rolls.

You're going to want to find lipo batteries with about a 50C rating or better. It's a rating with no real standardization, but loosely equates to how fast the battery can deliver its current and higher the better. I'm not sure what brands are easily available to you down under, so hopefully some of the lcoals will post here with better advice. If HobbyKing is a viable option, the new Rhino 50C packs are a great bargain.

You're going to need a lipo balance charger too. If I were in the market for soemthing inexpensive, I'd look at the ISDT chargers. I use their dischargers and battery checkers and they're awesome. I've never used one of their new chargers, but they appear to use the similar LCD screen interface and likely a similar build quality.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Hi,

Thank you for the information, much appreciated. The more I read the more interested I become, looks like fantastic hobby and I'm sure (with most hobbies) the sky is the limit.

I appreciate it probability isn't the best boat as our first 'real' RC boat being relatively long and from what I have read narrow for a Cat Hull, but it was a good price and thought worth giving it a shot.

The local dam/lake is a decent size with generally relatively smooth water, so long ruins with sweeping turns should be ok.

Ill track down a couple of 2S 5000mA 50C cells and a charger and see how we go...

Regards
    Scott.

hi all,

thanks for the information! I am planning to refurbish a blue-white hull genesis that is coming my way. Like single motor cats because of maintenance. will be a bigger cat next to my Veles. also plan to reinforce it, add hatch screws (don't like the 'single-use plastic waste' part of taping in this hobby). hope to get it waterproof with a foam.
    my question: will the stock motor mount setup cope with a 4082 SSS motor that I have laying around? replacing the flexshaft to a single piece 3/16 version (without the teflon liner) is smart as well because of the torque I suppose.
    thanks!

The stock motor mount will technically work, but it's short, and will not allow a full sized water jacket on that motor, and may require a different 40mm rear support ring. The stock one might be 36mm. If you're going to reinforce the hull, the stock mount will probably come out anyways because the tunnel is very flimsy and will benefit from a full inlay. Removing the stock mount will make the inlay easier and allow you to install a new mount that can fully support a longer motor can.

Here is a link to my Genesis overhaul where I've documented much of that same work: https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...ild&highlight=
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Thanks a lot!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Default HK Genesis Build/Help

hi, any updates here or are the Genesis boats retired?
    Last edited by ArnoudRC; 12-03-2020 at 02:57 PM.

I have a bare GENESIS hull, setup will be Twin with Hyperion 3026 - 1900kV motors, carbon transom mounts, 2 x 5S or 2 x 6S batteries.

Use Loctite 241 with the Tenshock rudder screws if you don' t want a bad surprise ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12