Thread: Turn Fin Orientation?

Default Turn Fin Orientation?

I'm building a 1/8 scale unlimited hydroplane - hull from ML Boatworks and fiberglass from RC Boat company. I'm a little confused about how the turn fin should be mounted - I'm mounting it on the right side of the hull, with rudder on the left; should the fin itself be vertical in the water? The turn fin is from Speedmaster (Sport Hydro Turn Fin Kit); the fin has a bend in it and the mounting bracket is a simple "L" shaped bracket. When mounted the fin bends under the boat since I installed the mounting bracket vertically on the hull. I'm a first time builder and discovering that what I don't know about FE boats would fill several encyclopedias.
    20190419_155518 (2).jpg
    Last edited by DanS1; 05-05-2019 at 12:35 PM.

Hi Dan.
    Looks like you've done a great job on your first build. Congratulations.

Your initial thoughts are correct.

These types of fins should enter the water vertically. At least, that's how I set mine up.
    Usually in line with where the ride pad meets the anti trip skin.
    Here's a pic of one of mine during construction to give you some idea.

m_51.jpg

m_029.jpg

Thanks for the advice - mine looks like yours, although a little more inboard. We'll see how she runs. Next steps are an oiler and re-plumbing the motor cooling lines. Put those in backward, with the feed on top. Glad I ran across the correct method in another thread.