Thread: Need Help With My Project - Phenomenon

Default Need Help With My Project - Phenomenon

I have been searching all over the net and finally came across OSE. I'm hoping a few of you guys can help steer me in the right direction.

I want to build a scale model of Al Copeland's insane boat called Phenomenon. Here is a link to some pics of it: http://www.timsharkey.com/boating_ma...nds_phenomenon
    Originally, I thought about actually using turbines in it, but decided that would be too difficult (and expensive). So going electric would be close enough and way easier to run. The real boat is 56' long and 13'-6" wide with (4) 3000 hp turbines (yes, that's 12,000 HP) and was built to go 250 mph.

I want to go 1/12 scale and make it 56" long and 13-1/2" wide and I want to install (4) electric motors. I have about a million questions concerning this build - everything from where I could find plans to what to use for motors, batteries, ESC, props. Just about everything. It will be built from wood. As far as I know, nobody has a four engine/motor R/C boat. If you know anybody that does, let me know!

I guess I need an experienced model builder that has built one of the larger catamaran boats that would be willing to let me exchange emails so I can figure this thing out. Maybe it is stupid to try, but I really like this boat (saw it in Sarasota a few years ago) and want to build a model of it. Like I said, I do not know much about electric motors, but I have built a couple nitro boats in the past. Let me know if you are willing to help me out.

Thanks

Here are a couple questions to get started. Does anybody sell plans for a large cat that I can/modify use for this project? Is it possible to put two stinger drives in each sponson? I guess I'd need to know how big of motors/props to use to answer that question. The real boat had problems with the props hitting each other with the flexing of the drives. I would assume the model could have the same problem. Not looking for all out max speed, but I do want it to haul a$$.

Any info to get me started in the right direction would be appreciated!