Thread: Helion Rivos XS brushless motor questions

Default Helion Rivos XS brushless motor questions

Is this a standard type motor or something specific to Helion? I have attached a picture of what it looks like. I want more speed out of this boat. I am getting right at 29mph with a 3s 30c 4500mah lipo and 27mph with the battery that came with it which is a 25c 3600mah lipo.

I have thought of installing a new 60 amp esc and going 4s but I am not sure the motor can handle it and I am not sure if this is a Helion design with the water cooled mount or not. I could change the mount if needed I suppose but then I am getting into the territory of just getting a nice fiberglass hull and starting on a fresh build.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Aaron
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by freakaccident; 04-09-2019 at 02:57 PM.

the pic is not showing up for me, but i am guessing, since i am familiar with the boat line, (i have a volantex vector 70, the 24" model sold both by helion and volantex) that it may have the 1800kv brushless with a 30-40a esc in it? thats what they run in the vector 70, the vector 80, the 24"cat (the name escapes me) and the angry shark self righting models... if so, it would be black (some had blue on them as well) , and about 36mm diameter and about 30ish mm length outrunner motor (that means the outside of the motor spins instead of just the inner part).

if thats the motor, you can run 4s no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
    the pic is not showing up for me, but i am guessing, since i am familiar with the boat line, (i have a volantex vector 70, the 24" model sold both by helion and volantex) that it may have the 1800kv brushless with a 30-40a esc in it? thats what they run in the vector 70, the vector 80, the 24"cat (the name escapes me) and the angry shark self righting models... if so, it would be black (some had blue on them as well) , and about 36mm diameter and about 30ish mm length outrunner motor (that means the outside of the motor spins instead of just the inner part).

if thats the motor, you can run 4s no problem.
    I forgot to attach the image file. It is in the first post now. Yes it is the black outrunner motor. Can the 40amp esc in the boat handle 4s or do I need to upgrade the esc? Thanks!

The esc in my Motley Crew just crapped out yesterday. I am going to cut the series wiring harness off of it that has EC5 connectors and use it in the Rivos. I'll cut the deans connector off in the Rivos leaving a couple inches and then solder 6mm bullets on the ESC end and the dean's end and then put 6mm bullets on the series harness from the Motley Crew. That way I can easily switch back to a single 3s battery on the Rivos instead of 4s. I think if I relocate the ESC in the Rivos I can fit a 2s on each side of the boat. I have a couple 30c 6200mah 2s lipos I can try it with.

if you have the esc like this one, yes, it can run 4s, but...LOL i dont know that i would trust it... first mod i did to my boat was swap the esc for a flycolor 150A esc... that way if i wanted to play with 6s i could...LOL FWIW...i am still running deans plugs with no issues...i know everyone says they are prone to fail, but i havent had issues with them even getting warm on any of my setups...

volantex_40A2.jpg

If you want to get some more speed from this hull you need to get the vector 70 mount...which is drilled for the the later version blue anodized 1800 motor.....ether from the later vector70...or the vector 80....the black cheapo motor will not last long on 4s... The esc should be fine...if you don't over prop....30 to 32 mm. bronze or alum.... mine's runnin 48.7....so far...... add another set of stock trim tabs too....cool little hull.....

Quote Originally Posted by 30nitro View Post
    If you want to get some more speed from this hull you need to get the vector 70 mount...which is drilled for the the later version blue anodized 1800 motor.....ether from the later vector70...or the vector 80....the black cheapo motor will not last long on 4s... The esc should be fine...if you don't over prop....30 to 32 mm. bronze or alum.... mine's runnin 48.7....so far...... add another set of stock trim tabs too....cool little hull.....

I ran it in 4s for about 4 minutes and realized I hadn't put my GPS in it. I brought it home which is about a 5 minute walk and popped the hatch. The motor and ESC both seemed quite warm. I have attached a pic of the setup with 2 2s batteries in it.

I think I am going to try something else beside the Vector 70 motor mount and motor. In searching I found this other setup. Check out the pic I attached. So this guy put a 540 motor on the stock mount by drilling a couple of holes in the mount. Drilling a couple holes in the mount to run an inrunner motor would be cake.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That would sure work too...... let us know how you make out.....

that really is all the vector mount is...LOL a pair of holes drilled in the solid mount so you could install a different motor... LOL

that really is all the vector mount is...LOL a pair of holes drilled in the solid mount so you could install a different motor... LOL
    Exactly....

Anyone know where I can buy the vector mount?

They have been on flea bay for a while....listed as the vector 80 mount ...but it's the same.... was 19.00.... now i see it's 54.00..!!!! Not sure what happened......????

Quote Originally Posted by 30nitro View Post
    They have been on flea bay for a while....listed as the vector 80 mount ...but it's the same.... was 19.00.... now i see it's 54.00..!!!! Not sure what happened......????
    I contacted the seller on the motor mount...they said it was a listing price mistake....mount still available for 19.00. In case you were interested....