Thread: Azimut Atlantic Challenger

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Azimut Atlantic Challenger

So, since im getting back into the hobby, might as well get my original boat back operational.

I converted it to Brushless a few years back and burnt out the jet drive gear belt. these are impossible to find anymore so the boat never ran again....

Anyway, I ran it on Feiago 8XL's with my AS26-150 controllers...

My plan is to run it direct, I believe the impeller is 30mm I've done some searching and found some images of others that have been converted... I'd like to make a better job.

I think I'll try the 8XL's on 4s cheapo batteries for now with the AS26-150 and just be gentle with the throttle.

My question is, does anybody know of a flat motor mount that's fairly tall? the impeller shaft is 40mm high,
    I'd like a tall version of this https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...od=ose-80080-c

Plan B; Install 2 'runners' - carbon square tube and mount the motor mount onto of this.

Will need some couplings... and it to line up perfectly, I've seen some people using rubber couplings maybe this is a good idea...?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hpr 06 / 09 / 150 /185, Mhz Skater H45 hydro.
    Uk SAW record holder

very sleek boat, was this a kit you built? can i ski behind it?

Yeah, didn’t realise at the time actually how involved it would be....

It really is quite a pleasant thing on the water, fairly nimble on the water for its size
    Uk SAW record holder

Why don't you just make the vertical part of the motor mount yourself? I did. I made it out of aluminum, works great.
    you could use the same motor mount plate.
    here is a pic of the one I made
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...9&d=1408979222
    Cheetah, Super Rio, (Mod) Starship (Mod and sold),

The Graupner Azimuth Challenger is a beautiful boat, do you know the stock setup ?

Motors were 800BB Turbo, if you know the stock setup and the retio of the belt drive it' s easy to find the components for your Azimoth Challenger.

This link is very interesting : https://www.modelisme.com/forum/navi...lenger-33.html

Hi Larry, thank you for the link, it was a concern of mine running a direct shaft I thought vibrations would be too much,

Does anybody know if this is a custom setup or can I find soemthing like this online?

And Alfa, I ran mine on 700BB turbo, this is a picture of my original setup from. a longggg time ago and a 12v Lead acid battery!!!!

I guess if the date on the camera is correct... I've had the boat going on 13/14 years now... not looking too shabby!
    Uk SAW record holder

Following on with upgrade in propulsion, I really don't want to drill holes for water cooling, so im thinking about running a gas fuel tank and a water pump for internal cooling...

The boat has plenty of space inside and weight really isn't a issue, I'm not going for speed records, last time it ran with the jet drives I used it without cooling, AS26-150BL / Feiago 8XL and both motor and ESC ran cool without any cooling,

Now im running 'direct drive' and want to use some large capacity packs for longer run time I think an internal water-cooling system may be beneficial.
    Uk SAW record holder

Also for those with more experience,

Would these work as a coupler? https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk....html#SID=2238

I need 5mm to 5mm and something flexible to reduce vibrations.
    Uk SAW record holder

Quote Originally Posted by vvviivvv View Post
    Also for those with more experience,

Would these work as a coupler? https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk....html#SID=2238

I need 5mm to 5mm and something flexible to reduce vibrations.
    Nope, they are very weak and will sheer easily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Okey,

Any ideas on what to use, I need to connect 2 5mm shafts... and somehow not shake the boat to bits

Can I suggest for coupling motors to the shafts that you put a hex coupler on both the jet unit shafts and the motors and use a piece of flex in between, .150 or .187. That will sort the problem with vibration and a strong enough coupling system. You can get the couplers from OSE here.
    BTW, I wouldn't be shy about fitting a cooling system, if you can tap into the jet units then you will have plenty of cooling water, you can even take water from the bottom of the intake and feed it back in further up. Drilling and fitting a couple of outlets in the transom would be fine and hardly noticeable.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

I run a jet drive and do t have an issue with direct solid connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi peter I did contemplate that, if it was only say 2” long I wouldn’t need any stuffing tube support would I?

I’m quite entertained about having an internal cooling system, if it doesn’t work, I have all the piping and all I have to do is take the tank out and drill some holes...

Like I say it’s a big hull plenty of space and designed around having a 12v lead acid battery in it...

Steve, I don’t think I’d ever get it to line up perfectly so think it would vibrate / do some damage...

Hi peter I did contemplate that, if it was only say 2” long I wouldn’t need any stuffing tube support would I?

I’m quite entertained about having an internal cooling system, if it doesn’t work, I have all the piping and all I have to do is take the tank out and drill some holes...

Like I say it’s a big hull plenty of space and designed around having a 12v lead acid battery in it...

Steve, I don’t think I’d ever get it to line up perfectly so think it would vibrate / do some damage...
    Ok I understand, the short flexi is your best option or a cv joint with dog bones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep about 2" should work. You can get the alignment pretty bang on by setting up with some solid shaft in the couplers to hold the motors straight in line and the fixing the motor mounts. Some urethane sealant/glue may be good for fixing the motor mounts, especially if they are a basic L shape. Just make small packers for height adjustment and fix in with the glue. If this is 'the mod' for the rest of the boats foreseeable life then a good permanent job is what you want to do. I am sure you will figure out a good way to do this.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Build yours with 4 adapters and 2 short 3/16 flex cables

Like this but more stronger

I plan to put a sheet of fibre before I begin, the hull layup is fairly thin, then the shaft height is about 40mm so will probably have to build a platform to mount the motors too,

But yeah, ill see if I have some spare 4.75mm Flexi offcuts, I have 1 set of 5mm to 4.75mm couplers so will get another and we should be good to go...
    Uk SAW record holder

Here are Graupner 700BB Turbo specs. This is a 1350KV brushed motor.

- What is the gearbox ratio ?
    Last edited by Alfa Spirit; 04-11-2019 at 07:59 AM.

Hi, picture doesn't show up..

I think its a ~50% reduction, 11tooth on the motor, 25 on the shaft.

I can't remember what cells I ran it on last time, I think I used 6s as that's what I had at the time... and I didn't run it flat out maybe 75% was enough..

I'm going to start off with the 8XL which is about 2100kv on 4s. and judge it from there,

Eventually I'd like a lower KV motor, higher cell count and high capacity packs with a long run time...
    Uk SAW record holder

Found a pic of what it comes as...

Was a lot of work for someone new to boat building
    Uk SAW record holder

https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk....html#SID=1586

I use these to connect some 9Xl's to straight shafts on one of my scale boats...work well.

Any updates?

Hi,

Been at work for the last 14 weeks, just sailed from Miami to Nassau, will be back in Miami Saturday and flying home... apparently summer is over back home and it’s a good time to start progressing, I’m still waiting for the esc for my hpr... slowly being built but might just run the damaged one in this.
    Uk SAW record holder

Probably not the best time to be sailing...hopefully it's a big boat. :)

This boat looks really nice. I'm bummed out that Graupner decided to discontinue it.