Thread: Hatch screws/latches/hold downs??

Default Hatch screws/latches/hold downs??

What have people down for holding down the hatch on the Motley Crew BESIDES hatch tape? I go through a couple of rolls of it a week and I am sick and tired of it. It takes a lot of tape to tape down this big hatch.

I’m going to ignore your specific request because regardless of what others say, tape works best. That’s why the manufacturer designed the boat for tape. Ask the hundreds of racers who’ve used it.

Anyway, the MC hatch is not big compared to many race boats. If you use colored vinyl electrical tape you can re-use it several times. Just dry the deck off with a towel before removing the tape and lay it on the deck alongside the hatch. I’ve used this for over a decade, works great on a boat like the MC. It comes in many colors too, find it online, at Lowes, Walmart, etc:

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...294920944&rt=d

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    I’m going to ignore your specific request because regardless of what others say, tape works best. That’s why the manufacturer designed the boat for tape. Ask the hundreds of racers who’ve used it.

Anyway, the MC hatch is not big compared to many race boats. If you use colored vinyl electrical tape you can re-use it several times. Just dry the deck off with a towel before removing the tape and lay it on the deck alongside the hatch. I’ve used this for over a decade, works great on a boat like the MC. It comes in many colors too, find it online, at Lowes, Walmart, etc:

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...294920944&rt=d

Ok. I hadn't thought about just using electrical tape instead of the expensive hatch tape. I will do that from now on. That fixes my issue. My problem was that the hatch tape is expensive and a pain to track down and get shipped to me. I can buy a sleeve of electrical tape for the cost of one roll of hatch tape.

Hey Fluid,
    What is that boat in your avatar?

Thanks

You can use hockey tape too, easier to find, less expensive.

I also dislike tape, but still tape up some of my boats with hatch locks for waterproofing reasons. I use colored electrical tape as Fluid mentioned. It's a little easier on the paint and I can get several runs out of it if I'm careful in the pits.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    You can use hockey tape too, easier to find, less expensive.

I also dislike tape, but still tape up some of my boats with hatch locks for waterproofing reasons. I use colored electrical tape as Fluid mentioned. It's a little easier on the paint and I can get several runs out of it if I'm careful in the pits.
    Thanks! I am going to use the 4 rolls of hatch tape I have left and then stock up on electrical tape.