Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Voracity tuning thread

Default The Voracity tuning thread

I promised some guys in the voracity thread I'd create a thread on tuning and modding this awesome rtr boat I just got. Well here it is. Here's my plans:

First I want to see if there's anything to be had with different props. I also want to see what we can do with tweaking the stock prop (which is a good prop to begin with. There might be a few other tweaks I'm gonna try. I also want to encourage everyone else to share their findings. This thread isn't just for me, it's for everyone.

First things first. I already know there's a gain to be had with timing. However, the factory Esc (as good as it is) doesn't like it. So I had the perfect candidate to throw in there and get to testing. I may put the factory one back after I'm done testing, but just for safety's sake I'm going to be using a little higher amp Esc. While I was putting the Esc in I went ahead and changed the motor bullets to 6.5mm castle bullets. I mainly did this because it makes swapping things simple because I use these on everything. Next I used castle 6.5mm green connectors. That's what most of my batteries have so why not?

I plan on doing some running this weekend if the rain stops. Here she is after I made some changes.....I re routed the cooling lines and had to reglue the trim ring for the cooling hose. It felt loose and was moving a little as I was messing with cooling lines. No big deal, pulled it out and smeared a little silicon on it to hold it in place and seal it.

32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Thanks for starting this thread. I'll be here to learn and hopefully contribute something...

Subscribed
    NEVER SATISFIED RACING
    Fine Design 32 V-Hull 4082+6s

Subscribing

how do I Subscribe to this thread

I too had to re glue the bulk head fitting for the water lines. I re routed my water lines and polished the propeller

IMG_5973.jpgIMG_5971.jpgIMG_5972.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    I promised some guys in the voracity thread I'd create a thread on tuning and modding this awesome rtr boat I just got. Well here it is. Here's my plans:

First I want to see if there's anything to be had with different props. I also want to see what we can do with tweaking the stock prop (which is a good prop to begin with. There might be a few other tweaks I'm gonna try. I also want to encourage everyone else to share their findings. This thread isn't just for me, it's for everyone.

First things first. I already know there's a gain to be had with timing. However, the factory Esc (as good as it is) doesn't like it. So I had the perfect candidate to throw in there and get to testing. I may put the factory one back after I'm done testing, but just for safety's sake I'm going to be using a little higher amp Esc. While I was putting the Esc in I went ahead and changed the motor bullets to 6.5mm castle bullets. I mainly did this because it makes swapping things simple because I use these on everything. Next I used castle 6.5mm green connectors. That's what most of my batteries have so why not?

I plan on doing some running this weekend if the rain stops. Here she is after I made some changes.....I re routed the cooling lines and had to reglue the trim ring for the cooling hose. It felt loose and was moving a little as I was messing with cooling lines. No big deal, pulled it out and smeared a little silicon on it to hold it in place and seal it.

whats the reason for 2 3s batteries vs 1 6s? personal preference?

Quote Originally Posted by hobby_man View Post
    whats the reason for 2 3s batteries vs 1 6s? personal preference?
    It came like that. Also in my opinion, I feel like the balance of the boat would be better. Weight lower in the hull is always better.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I got some info for you guys! I went ran it this evening real quick. I wanted to get a base line. Keep in mind I had it running wet but only changed props (once I got it running smooth) to see if there was a speed difference. I didn't get video because my son didn't want to come. I was in a hurry too. Bats weren't charged all the way either. But still.

So the stock prop, I had to adjust the batts and trim tabs to stop the boat from porpoising badly. After running it a bit, adjusting etc this is what I got:
    1) stock untouched prop 45mph
    2) m645 (basically a stock prop but s/b and detounged) 48.5mph
    3) abc 1914 51.0mph

Edit. I forgot to put the temps. These were measured after cutoff voltage (3.75v) and using the big prop running wet:

Motor. 103.4f
    Esc. 110.9f
    Batt connectors. 94.5f
    Batteries. 101.2f
    Last edited by kfxguy; 08-21-2015 at 10:42 AM.

Stock

M645

And abc 1914.

Water was so perfect today!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hobby_man View Post
    how do I Subscribe to this thread?

Your subscribed by posting in the thread
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective"
    45"Speedfreek
    , Fightercat #068 ​, MyYoutube Vids

I got some info for you guys! I went ran it this evening real quick. I wanted to get a base line. Keep in mind I had it running wet but only changed props (once I got it running smooth) to see if there was a speed difference. I didn't get video because my son didn't want to come. I was in a hurry too. Bats weren't charged all the way either. But still.

So the stock prop, I had to adjust the batts and trim tabs to stop the boat from porpoising badly. After running it a bit, adjusting etc this is what I got:
    1) stock untouched prop 45mph
    2) m645 (basically a stock prop but s/b and detounged) 48.5mph
    3) abc 1914 51.0mph
    Is the abc 1914 1.9" diameter with a 1.4 pitch?

Quote Originally Posted by paulfromtulsa View Post
    Is the abc 1914 1.9" diameter with a 1.4 pitch?
    Yes. Essentially 48mm. I didn't have a finished 1815 (45.7mm) to compare. I suspect it being faster. Find out Saturday.

Subscribed !

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyPrerunner View Post
    Subscribed !
    Suspect that's the prop Going to use just waiting on your results.

Yes. Essentially 48mm. I didn't have a finished 1815 (45.7mm) to compare. I suspect it being faster. Find out Saturday.
    This one my bad wrong quote

Thanks for the info kfxguy! I'm going to restate my numbers in this thread just so the info is here.

On 6S:
    Stock, untouched prop - 48.7mph
    x645 - 51.0
    x642 - 42.9

On 4S:
    Stock, untouched prop - 32.8
    x645 - 32.8
    x642 - 30.0

IMG_9382 (Medium).JPG IMG_9383 (Medium).JPG
    Last edited by arrover; 08-28-2015 at 11:19 AM.

It sounds like some of the Voracitys are shipping with slightly incorrect waterline routing. The front waterline on the ESC is very short and is on the verge of being kinked. Also, the water should exit the top of the motor to prevent any air from getting trapped inside the cooling jacket and decreasing the cooling.

- Take the short hose off the front of the ESC.
    - Remove the medium length hose that exits the ESC and goes to the top of the motor.
    - Disconnect the hose on the other end of the motor (no need to disconnect it from the hull fitting.
    - Take the short hose and connect it from the ESC exit to the bottom motor fitting.
    - Take the medium length hose and put it on the front of the ESC in the same U shape as before.
    - Connect the hose from the hull fitting to the top of the motor.

Now the water comes out of the top of the motor and exits the boat. The hose lengths fit perfectly, the motor should cool better, and the ESC loop isn't kinked anymore. The new routing is shown below.
    IMG_9363 (Medium).JPG
    Last edited by arrover; 08-28-2015 at 11:13 AM.

I forgot to add. It seemed very very sensitive to trim tab position. When I had them flat, it would not bounce. And slight angle up and the nose would porpoise. Almost flipped it a couple times.

I'm having a hard time with this. I want to keep this thing as stock as possible but then I have drawers in my tool box full of motors and escs. I guess I'm gonna have to wait. But I'm getting antsy.
    Last edited by kfxguy; 08-21-2015 at 09:29 AM.

Good info thanks

Subscribed!

why do you suspect that the 1815 will be faster than the 1914? its a smaller prop but slightly more pitch is that why? thanks for all the help

why do you suspect that the 1815 will be faster than the 1914? its a smaller prop but slightly more pitch is that why? thanks for all the help

Yes plus it has more blade rake.

Guys go back and read post #9. I edited it with some important info.

Yes plus it has more blade rake.
    what do you think about an octura x648? (with a 180a esc of course) its the same diameter as the 1914 but has a 1.6 pitch. i think that prop might be maxxing out the boat.

I'll be interesting in seeing what you guys come up with...

Are any of you monitoring the temps on your motor wire plugs??
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    I'll be interesting in seeing what you guys come up with...

Are any of you monitoring the temps on your motor wire plugs??

I checked them last night and iirc they were like 108ish. I did change connectors and the wires are pretty short.

what do you think about an octura x648? (with a 180a esc of course) its the same diameter as the 1914 but has a 1.6 pitch. i think that prop might be maxxing out the boat.

Personally I think that's too much prop and I think the abc with less pitch will beat it and pull less amps. But I'll find out. I have one of those too. And a m447 I need to try.

Personally I think that's too much prop and I think the abc with less pitch will beat it and pull less amps. But I'll find out. I have one of those too. And a m447 I need to try.
    That's great that you have all those props. I will wait for your results before I order one. Thanks

That's great that you have all those props. I will wait for your results before I order one. Thanks
    I have pretty much everything that is popular. I used to squeak when it can to buying props but I don't anymore. I'm ordering a couple more today and I has some other abc stuff coming.

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast