Thread: What timing should i choose?

Default What timing should i choose?

I’ve got a SSS 5694 800Kv 6 pole motor in my 55” cat. But the esc is setup to default. But would it be better to change the timing? Im new to the timing thing so could use some help. Also got a SSS 3674 2075Kv 4 pole i my other boat (genesis), what timing should that be set to.?
    And what does TUM 7D mean (specs on the 5694)

The 7D refers to the motor windings. For a ‘D’ wind motor use the lowest timing available on the ESC.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Thank you. What about PWM? It is set to 8khz default. Is that okay for a 6 pole?
    Also the small cat i have with a 3664 2075Kv 4 pole motor. Should this motor also be set at 8khz?

That frequency should work fine on both.

I am also much in doubt regarding timing. I have a turnigy 4082 1450kv motor. Is there a table or something where you can see general recommendations for timing and motor confugurations? I dont even know what winding or pole count mine has. :)

Brushless controllers change the timing depending on the motor’s amp draw and rpm. The setting in the ESC just defines a range the controller will use. If the ESC just used a single timing setting, the motors would run terribly. Higher-end controllers generally have better firmware to give optimum performance.

As a general rule of thumb, ‘D’ wind motors need low timing, 0-5 degrees. A ‘Y’ wind motor can use from 10-20 degrees depending on the use. I run all my ‘Y’ wind motors at 15 degrees except for extreme use.

and to find out what type of wind your motor is, you need to look at the manufacturer's specs. It's not something you can tell while holding it in your hand (for 99% of the people anyway). Most online seller's usually list that on their webpage.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    and to find out what type of wind your motor is, you need to look at the manufacturer's specs. It's not something you can tell while holding it in your hand (for 99% of the people anyway). Most online seller's usually list that on their webpage.
    Many times you can tell if it's Y or D if you can see a termination in the back of the motor winding's. A termination will be a Y wind and no termination is a D wind.
    Nortavlag Bulc