Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: An Unexpected Success

Well, I was going to go to the lake today but it was drizzling and breezy...

With the finned 2030 motor in Prototype #4, it tips the scales at a hefty 295 grams. It will be interesting to compare the two versions of this hull.
    A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves

Went to the pond today and got lots of running time on the single-steppers. Prototype #4 with the direct-drive 2030 motor worked really well and was on the verge of stability. You can still flip it with careless driving, but you can also do an easy 10 laps with it by using the throttle carefully. Some fine-tuning with props and balance points and you will have a competitive racer. Prototype 5# was different. Considerably slower, but excellent cornering with the asymmetric hull. When I got it in, the motor was WAY too hot!! Next time out, it will have a much lower gear ratio to allow the motor to spin up higher (provided I didn't cook the magnets in the motor ).

I've been reviewing all the projects I have in the works, and this is another one I'm going to call done. The power system I've finally selected is manageable now, but still in the realm of "grossly overpowered". Prop tuning (reducing the size) may increase the stability at the expense of some overall speed. This has the added benefit of increasing run times.

I'll play with props and cut one of those 26mm CNC props down even more to see what happens.

I'll post photos and vids here if something interesting pops up.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234