Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: An Unexpected Success

Default Oh Great.........

I spent a whole lot of time and effort researching and designing geardrives because I could no longer find a 2030 inrunner with the appropriate Kv. Well, in addition to designing all the stuff to make the gear drive assembly, I've also been searching for that elusive 2030 motor with a usable Kv all over the 'Net.

Lo and behold, and shortly after finishing up the design and placement of all the geardrive parts on a sheet of 1/16" ply, I stumbled upon a source of cheap, readily available 2030 motors with Kvs of 2900, 3100, 3300, 3600, 3900 and higher. Duh! (See: https://www.rcecho.com/Brushless-Mot...or/?sort=price)

Now what?? I'll still build the geardrive for Prototype #5 (because I can) and test it against the other motors I have selected. I still have foam cut for another hull, plus the styrene, laser-cut parts, drive shafts, rudders, servos and all the other assorted parts to build prototype #6. I will hold off on building #6 until I have more data on Prototypes #2 through #5. I've spent a lot of time making the hull on #5 smooth and shiny. #6 will be a quick-and-dirty test-bed and as such may look a bit "Ragged" when compared to the others. The hull shape (no non-trips, symmetric non-trips, or asymmetric non-trips) will be based on testing of the earlier prototypes.

After all that is completed and I have an optimized design based on real world testing of all the prototypes, I'll build the "FINAL ONE". That will give me a fleet of 6 single-steppers that all fit into a keyboard case for easy transport and storage.

Then I'll get back to other languishing projects.
    Last edited by Dr. Jet; 01-17-2020 at 12:47 PM.
    A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves

Default Update........

I sent the CAD drawings to the laser guy this morning. I included several dozen geardrive/servo assemblies for the 1222 motor setup, a motor mount fix for the 1:20 Shovelnose kit (there was a dimensional bust in the original ), and motor mount plates that fit the 2030 inrunners. These motor mount plates are swap-able replacements for all the mounts I previously made that fit the little outrunners.

Now, no matter which power system works the best/is most readily available/is cheapest and most effective, I'll have parts on hand for many more single-steppers down the line.

Default For those considering gears......

As I stated above, the need for gears in FE is, for the most part, just a distant memory. Yet, there may come a time when gears are the best options, especially when dealing with these really little boats where motor choices are limited, or there are physical space limitations.

Over the years, I've collected a bunch of gears and geardrive assemblies; the latter mainly for aircraft applications. For the most part, you can find slot car and RC car gears that will work in the little single-stepper I'm presenting here or similar-sized applications. The Hughey gears were bullet-proof nylon with metal hubs and had a pitch (pitch ratio) of 32. They were quite large in comparison to what I'm using here. Slot cars most often use 48 pitch gears with the occasional 64 pitch. In all the gearbox photos I attached above, I used 64 pitch gears from slot car applications and from SDP/SI.

But that was then.... Now enter Metric Pitch gears. I am going to use 0.4 Module (the metric measurement standard instead of pitch) in this application; but here's what I discovered: 0.4M gears are REALLY CLOSE, but not exactly like 64 pitch gears. 0.5M (0.6M?? ) gears are REALLY CLOSE, but not exactly like 48 pitch gears. You could probably run a Metric/Imperial gear train for several minutes before you ground all the teeth off.

So take heed my friends; pay close attention to any gear set you plan to use; make certain your pitches are right.
    Last edited by Dr. Jet; 01-19-2020 at 09:26 PM.

Wow, all this time I've been working on the geardrive, I never realized how truly tiny it's going to be. On the computer, it fills the screen... It's going to be an order of magnitude smaller than the geardrives I posted earlier (and below). I made those drives from hand-shaped carbon fiber sheet and brass tube. The geardrive/motor mount/servo mount assembly I'm planning will be 1/16" plywood hardened with either thin CA or thinned L-285 epoxy. Thank goodness for laser-cutting, it would be insane to attempt to make all these tiny and intricate plywood parts by hand....

I never realized how tiny the motor is as well. It's the size of the last joint of my pinky finger. This may work to my advantage because I still fear having over-powered hulls that make better airplanes than boats. This may be in the right ballpark for a proper power system, and be several grams lighter.

On the other hand, it may be too small for the 350mm hull I'm building here. Depending on the results I get with the geardrive, I may adapt a new and even smaller hull design to work with it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've been thinking.... (Uh-oh... )... I'm designing a plywood structure to hold the motor, the servo, and the gearbox out of 1/16" plywood, and I'm asking myself:

Why?

Because plywood cuts easily with a CNC laser and can make some intricate and highly detailed parts.

How did you mount servos in really thin airplane wings back in the day?

I glued them into place.

Why not glue the servo in the hull?

Uh...... Water intrusion?

And where would the servo be in your wood contraption?

Uh..... Exactly the same place if I glued it in.

Your previous gearboxes had carbon fiber motor mounts, why not make your contraption from carbon fiber?

A laser won't cut carbon fiber very well and they're pretty tiny and intricate to make by hand.

A ball-bearing stuffing tube is the same size as the ball bearing support tube in your gearboxes. Why not just attach a carbon fiber motor mount to the stuffing tube like you did in the older gearboxes, and eliminate ALL the plywood contraption? The stuffing tube would become the main structural member holding the motor and the gears. The flexibility such a system would produce would make a complete drive unit that would fit into a number of different style hulls and provide a very low profile.

Uh.... I dunno... Maybe the weight of the motor would create a rotational load on the stuffing tube where it goes through the foam step.

Could you make an "Anti-rotational" support of some sort?

I suppose I could.

So why not just make a carbon fiber mount to go on the stuffing tube?

The parts are so small and intricate, it would be really hard to make by hand.

Can you CNC cut them?

Not with a laser, but a desktop CNC router might work.

Well, what are you waiting for?

Doing the research now....
    Last edited by Dr. Jet; 01-25-2020 at 10:45 AM.

Default Research Results

Hmmmm.... It looks like everybody has a pretty high minimum charge. Add to that shipping, raw materials, taxes and the cost per unit goes way up. And there's no way I'll ever use 120 of them. I can actually buy a (cheap and flimsy) desktop router for less than some outfit's minimum charge. Or..... I could buy a better quality desktop CNC router and have the ability to make more than just carbon fiber micro-gears.

Hmmmmm....

I glue all my servos in, bar one kit that came with a mount (which broke) I always have, and going forwards always will. You can't beat it for lightness, stiffness, reliability, cost, or ease.

I waterproof my servos before use, and if the hull or servo is experimental and I may need to be salvage or replace the servo, I glue the servo to a sheet of thin balsa and glue that to the hull, so the servo can be easily chiselled out, and the servo or hull can be sanded flat for a replacement servo/hull.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

I did some tests with the styrene sheet bottom and hot melt glue. It holds the servo just fine, doesn't distort the styrene, and the servo can be removed with some work or running some monofilament fishing line through the glue joint with a sawing motion. I'm not too concerned if a servo gets wet and dies. I think I paid somewhere around a dollar or so each for them in quantities of 10.

So I may be seriously thinking about buying one of those desktop CNC routers to make cool carbon fiber geardrives.
    Last edited by Dr. Jet; 01-25-2020 at 10:47 AM.

Just want to say, that I love following your threads.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bhorowitz View Post
    Just want to say, that I love following your threads.
    Bob
    Thanks.....

I'm kinda using these threads in the Mini forums as a "Stream of Consciousness" thing. Almost like my own personal blog. I keep it limited to just this forum and for the most part focused on discussions about the minis. I'm sure Steve appreciates that.

Weather permitting, I'll try to get videos this Monday. I won't have any geared ones at that time though.

Default The Results??

Well, here are the results of my research and review: Having parts cut by a professional vendor is cost-prohibitive. It would be great to find a guy down the street with a CNC router that could do it. The best and easiest avenue is to buy my own router and fabricate my own parts. The problem with that approach is a quality machine also needs bits, hardware, software, space to set it up, learning curves to use it, and a whole bunch of other unforeseen things to make it work; suddenly, amortizing the investment is probably impossible.

So what to do? I'll make some of the plywood "Contraptions" as originally planned, but I will also cut some of the micro gear motor mounts that attach directly to the stuffing tube. To stiffen them up, I'll laminate some CF on one face of them, open the holes and slots with needle files, then, do the same thing to the other side. It will be the single strongest part of the boat, with maybe the exception of the stainless steel prop shaft.

Stay tuned.....
    Last edited by Dr. Jet; 01-24-2020 at 10:00 AM.

Packing up my stuff and heading to the pond. Let's hope the videos work out....

Default Good News, Bad News, Success, Failure......

It was smooth water on the lake!

Well, the first one I threw in the water for testing was Prototype #2 "Homie". Homie has the 3300Kv inrunner that started this whole single-step hydro endeavor when it seemed to work so well in that first hull even though it was so bulky.

I put Homie in the water, goosed the throttle, and promptly broke the driveline,thereby rendering it useless for further testing and sending a brand-new prop to the bottom of the lake.

I thought I'd go right to Prototype #4 next, seeing as it was the result of my more recent ideas. Thinking I may have excess power available, I ran the first bit at partial throttle. I found a throttle setting where it ran extremely well with a perfect attitude and was capable of nice, tight turns. It would tend to lean towards the outside of the turn and I think an angled turn fin would help that as it would want to dig the inside edge of the hull downward as opposed to lifting as it was with the straight fin on the hull (I just used the fin from the original prototype hull). So far so good. Now, it's time to open 'er up!

I wait until it is coming at me (so it's closer to shore and I don't have to go so far to retrieve it if something goes wrong) and hit the throttle.........

It all happened so fast, I don't recall the exact sequence. First, it hauled @$$, then there was some flying, some torque rolls, some swimming around underwater looking like a fish, and surfacing somewhat reminiscent of that submarine-based launch of a Trident missile that everyone has seen on TV at some time. I learned to drive it after a while and could do OK, but given the available power (and the urge to use it.. ), it was for the most part uncontrollable. It's own wake from an earlier lap was enough to launch it or send it in a emergency submarine dive depending on the magnitude and orientation of the wake and your speed.

I did manage to do some CG testing, and it was much better with the CG moved forward.

In my playing around with #4, I noticed it was real torque-sensitive. I might attribute that to the outrunner motor. All those big, heavy (relative) magnets spinning in a large (relative) radius IS going to have an impact.

All of this makes me think the little geared motor concept may actually be the ticket for this hull. I am currently using a 1000mah battery, and since I want to move the CG forward, I may go with a considerably smaller battery since the geared motor arrangement will draw less current (lower total Watts). This kills two birds with one stone: Improved CG and lower overall weight.

Oh yeah, the last bummer. There was no one there that could take videos...... Next time out I may have Prototype #5, the geared one, ready to go.

I'm eventually going to have the motor mounts for the geardrives laser-cut from 1/16" ply. Because the final part is so small and delicate, these wood mounts will need to be stiffened with CA, thin epoxy and/or thin layers of fiberglass or CF fabric. I made a motor mount for Prototype #5 out of CF plate and based on the dimensional drawings provided by the motor supplier. It was not easy.

A tiny motor mount for the gear setup. Nice work there. Adjustable I assume for different gears. No other reason to cut a slot like that.
    Cheetah, Super Rio, (Mod) Starship (Mod and sold),

Quote Originally Posted by larryrose11 View Post
    .......Adjustable I assume for different gears........
    Exactly. I have different motors to try with different Kvs, AND I'll need to find a ratio that works with whatever prop I finally decide to use (probably this one with the tongues cut off: https://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Aluminu...t/162228388819).. I'm using gears from Tamiya 1/24 scale RC cars. They are a fine pitch designed for these motors, are very high quality, are super-durable, are available in dozens of tooth counts, and are somewhat reasonably priced.

Default What to do while I'm waiting for parts to arrive

The first MPR ran pretty good with the finned 2030 motor (3300Kv), although the bulk of the hull was a big impediment to going fast. The little outrunners (3500Kv) proved to have too much torque and seriously overpowered the hull. They will find a new home somewhere in another of my hare-brained schemes....

I think I will retire Prototype #2 (Homie), and transplant his little inrunner into Prototype #5. I'll also remove the straight CF turn fin and make a new, angled one from aluminum sheet.

In addition to the single-step hydro project, I'm also repairing/updating hulls that needed work before the next time out. While I'm waiting for parts to show up, I've made repairs to the 1:20 Atlas prototype (broke a driveshaft on a loose fishing line ) so it will be ready for additional prop testing the next time out. The 1:20 Short Circuit encountered some "Hangar Rash" and should be repaired within a few days (have to wait for paint to dry). I'll use the Atlas Prototype to find a prop that works well with that motor/battery combo and use the same thing on the Short Circuit for starters. I made some "Quick and dirty" strakes from PVC sheet and glued them to the bottom of the 16" Cat, so that will be ready to test the next time out as well. Stand by to see some posting in that thread too.

Default The Disadvantage of Inexpensive Boats.....

They (or the necessary parts to make one) often come on a slow boat from China.....

Well, the 11,000 Kv motors showed up today and I finished the geardrive. Man, this thing is tiny, but smooth as silk. I'm using little fine-point tweezers, the tiniest Wiha Phillips screwdrivers I have, and a high-power headband magnifier to assemble everything. I need a bit larger driven gear (on another slow boat from China) to get a ratio that makes about 3500 rpm/V. The gear ratio shown in the photos works out to about 3885 rpm/V. I have a larger pinion to go on the lower Kv motor I ordered.

This thing is considerably lighter and lower in profile than the outrunners I tested. I'm hoping the ultra-low CG will really help in cornering. I'm hoping the geardrive with less rotating mass will help in acceleration in that the motor may spool up to an efficient rpm a bit sooner. I'm thinking I could save a whole bunch of weight by going to a carbon fiber driveshaft. Its not like I'm putting 1500 Watts through this thing. I may need to add an intermediate ball bearing in the stuffing tube to keep the shaft from wobbling if I go that way, but that should be easy enough.

Prototype #5, the geardrive hull, is nearing completion. If you remember, I decided to try the gear option because I was unable to find 2030-sized motors in the right Kv. I think the geardrive will work great and I expect some interesting results, but it's probably just far too much ultra-fine, high-precision work to interest most people. With that in mind, I pulled the "Too Much" 3500Kv outrunner out of Prototype #4, and replaced it with the 3060Kv (I thought it was 3300 all this time ) inrunner from Prototypes #1 (the MPR) and #2 (Homey). Since I now know of a somewhat reliable source for similar motors and couplers; and in keeping with the KISS philosophy, I think this project needs to go in that direction and forget the gears.

I've changed the gear ratio from what it was in the prior photos to something that should give me 3100 rpm/V; or about the same as the inrunner going into #4. I used an acetyl nylon gear and it is incredibly smooth. It will be interesting to compare the two drive systems and how they perform. I'm thinking the geared version will come in significantly lighter and I may eventually opt for something smaller than the 1000mah batteries I'm using in all the other prototypes, since I do expect a lower current draw. The lighter weight (and maybe less torque-induced idiosyncrasies) may offset a lower total wattage. It might make it more flighty too. We shall see.
    Last edited by Dr. Jet; 02-04-2020 at 08:14 PM.

Default Another Thing I Noticed.....

When tearing the outrunner motor out of #4, I noticed the heat-shrink wrapper on the ESC had melted. For most of my minis, I use that cheap 30A ESC that can often be found for under $5 (See: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-HW30A-B...r/392519751649). The problem is, it's rather large for this hull, so I used its little brother, the 10A ESC in all the single-steppers.

Normal running on the surface was fine for the ESC, and this makes sense as only half the prop is in the water, thereby reducing the overall load on the motor. The problem was when it was swimming around underwater like a fish; for a LONG time. It did this in full "Knife-edge" and with the partial loss of radio, it went to full throttle with an entirely submerged prop. I think that's when it was drawing enough current to melt the shrink-tube. The water in the lake was really clear and I could watch the entire aquabatic demonstration. Fortunately, after everything was done, there wasn't a single drop of water inside.

Default All I Need is Paint and Batteries....

.... And I HAVE the paint. Or at least the primer.

I decided to go with a smaller battery which will cut 36 grams off the total weigh as compared to the 1000mah cells in the other hulls. Deduct about the same amount of weight for the much smaller motor and this boat could conceivably be 25% lighter than the other prototypes.

Default Watching Paint Dry....

How exciting!

So I'm shooting the white primer on Prototype #5 and I'm wondering what scheme to do on it. I had thought of making a decal of a pancake or a wingtip shoe, but decal paper is expensive and a full sheet decal on a compound curved surface may not work very well. I'm kind of done on the Short Circuit theme for a while, so I may paint it gold and do another Auric Enterprises to match my BBY Mini Scat Cat Twin.

Default It's About Time to Clear Things Up....

..... And I'll shoot a couple of coats after the base coats and decals have had a few days to cure.

I may call this one "Goldbrick".

So I've just shot a single coat of clear over the decals and I think I'm going to call it good there. This is not a beauty contest. I have yet to rout the hatch for the battery clearance as the clear coat is still a bit soft and I want to give it a while to cure before man-handling it.

I decided to weigh #5 (the Goldbrick ) to see how it compares to Prototypes #3 and #4. Both of those came in at about 275 grams or 9.7 ounces. #5 weighed in at 199 grams or 7.8 ounces. That's a 27% reduction in overall weight with maybe a 50% reduction in overall power system wattage from before. This may work! I might take it out to test tomorrow, but the weather is predicted to be cloudy and windy with a high temperature of only about 60 degrees, so I may not go. I'll make the call tomorrow.

I like the simple paint scheme. The gold is a nice looking color.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    I like the simple paint scheme. The gold is a nice looking color.
    You do get the gag about Auric Enterprises, right?

Looks more like a finger than a brick to me.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    Looks more like a finger than a brick to me.
    Not a gold brick? A gold fin.........

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jet View Post
    You do get the gag about Auric Enterprises, right?
    Goldfinger, indeed.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast