Thread: Build in extra capasitors??

Default Build in extra capasitors??

I’ve been wondering. What if you build in one or two extra capasitors on the battery side of the ESC. Won’t they help the ESC in getting enough current when you hit full throttle? I know the ESC allready have them installed, but i’m thinking one or two with 80voltage and with 100.000uf. Some big ones.. They don’t weigh much and they sure would help the batteries.. anyone tried that?

Most circuit and SAW racers I know install capacitor banks, I use Rubicon ZL or ZLH caps, I keep the voltage the same as the ones on the esc. I use 5 caps for circuit and 9 for SAW in the range of 540 to 680 uf per cap. I’ll attach some picture for you shortly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have to ask.. what does SAW stand for? I think i may be the only guy from Denmark here in this forum 😂
    My 320amp esc can handle 16s but im keeping it at 15s. So maybe i should look for some caps that can handle a minimum of 63v or?? Im calculating that on the 4,2v on each sell when they are fully charged.

Quote Originally Posted by HeineDenmark View Post
    I have to ask.. what does SAW stand for? I think i may be the only guy from Denmark here in this forum
    My 320amp esc can handle 16s but im keeping it at 15s. So maybe i should look for some caps that can handle a minimum of 63v or?? Im calculating that on the 4,2v on each sell when they are fully charged.
    Hello Heine,

SAW is straight line racing, you make two passes and they take the average speed of the runs, you are not the only boater from Denmark, EmilWilkens is also from Denmark.

You need to check the caps on the esc and use the same voltage, 63v is too close for 15s I would use higher.

https://youtu.be/Fr7D9_V4UZs

Holy c**p thats a fast one!
    Mine is still in the making. Blew the shaft and prop at my second test. Didnt even made it to the fine tuning of the prop angle and height. Link below. Reached 116 km/h

https://youtu.be/0T_4tIjd6A8

Quote Originally Posted by HeineDenmark View Post
    Holy c**p thats a fast one!
    Mine is still in the making. Blew the shaft and prop at my second test. Didnt even made it to the fine tuning of the prop angle and height. Link below. Reached 116 km/h

https://youtu.be/0T_4tIjd6A8
    That a nice running-boat, what happened to the shaft?

I used a cheap alloy prop from another boat i have. I think i was to weak. Also the strut is not suitable for the high rpms becaus of the small bearings inside. So they burned and blew up the end of the strut, which bended the axel... bummer

Nice caps there. Think i’ll add that to the boat while waiting for parts..

Just added a pair of caps. Found two big ones that suited the setup. Below there’s a link to a video of the setup. Dont mind my crapybuild wooden battery trays 😂

https://youtu.be/v5kdWK3zWwA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The smaller the caps are the quicker they can charge and discharge, so a bunch of smaller caps is better at smoothing the high frequency voltage ripple that we are trying to protect the ESC from than a couple of big ones, even if they have less total capacitance.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Ohh okay. I did’nt know that. Well then i’ll try finding some small ones instead. Thanks for your reply.

There is a long stickied thread by dr wayne on here that you might want to read. https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...ght=capacitors
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.