Thread: EC5's am I safe

Default EC5's am I safe

Have a bet coming up this summer (another thread)

Anyways: setting this thing up (Carbon Zonda 41" twins) 180amp seaking ESC's, sss2075kv motors, upgraded cooling, upgraded rudder, 5.5mm bullets (ESC-motors) ABC-1716 Dashbota props, 12s (6s each side, 5200Mah/70c) (Know 12s is going to be hot)

He upped the bet to 500. He has a regular weed whacker motor that he found in the trash and installed a some 50" mono (from the trash he found)

Will EC5's connectors batteries to ESC be enough? Just all my 6s batteries are with EC5's. Granted this will just be for a few saw runs (and maybe to show off once in a while) other than that I'll use 8s (4s per side) I'm thinking just change them all out to 6mm or 6.5mm. All I have is time on my hands right now.

One other thing, (not sure If I'm going to use the right wordage) somewhere on here I found where someone posted on how to hook up the batteries so that each ESC gets voltage from each battery, therefore batteries get drained equally (if you understand what I'm saying) been looking/searching for hrs this past week.

Doing all the reinforcements this week (as soon as my drug buddy lets me use his scale to measure resin)

My word: on checking the motors out one of them, when I move the shaft side to side there is a bit play (I here tick/tick/tick) cannot measure distance of play though, to little (bearings shot?)

Enjoy the summer, it will be short,

John

No.
    Also 6s per side is still 6s, not 12s.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

I dont think I ma that far from you.
    Im in Berkeley, Mi.
    I would like to see this race.
    Cheetah, Super Rio, (Mod) Starship (Mod and sold),

Hey Paul,

I just wanted to make it clear, 6s per esc/motor (some may think it may me 12s per ecs/motor) as far as your "no" you think I should just install the 6 or 6.5mm bullet's?

Larry, no date has been set up, we're up here in flint. Trying to talk him into the "record trials" at Thread lake (were it's timed) this spring (if the damn it OK this year)

The ec5 can handle that load. The bearing in the motor is a little worn that's the reason for the little play.

"12s (6s each side, 5200Mah/70c) (Know 12s is going to be hot)"
    "other than that I'll use 8s (4s per side)"

John, I just want you to know that even though you are running two 6S, one for each side, your ZONDA is still running on 6S and the same with two 4S, one for each side, is still running on 4S. I think you already know this but don't confuse the verbiage between 6S with 12S or 4S with 8S . For example, if you actually run 12S or 8S on a SK180A esc you get BOOOOMMM as they are only rated up to 6S max!!!! Don't add them up, you are still running 6S or 4S on each SK180A esc. Adding them up is running them in series and thus you get 12S (two 6S lipos run in series) and 8S (two 4S lipos run in series). By saying it the correct way you will not confuse others when talking about your set up. Remember, there are still members here that are just starting in the FE world and just might happen to have a ZONDA. You certainly don't want to confuse them as it can be confusing. So, to clarify, you'll either be running your ZONDA w/ twin setup on 6S or 4S not on 12S or 8S.

John, I don't know what you're opting to use for your connectors but here's something for you to think about. Each type of connectors are rated in how many amps they're able to handle.
    - EC5 connectors are generally rated for up to 120 amps of sustain or continuous load and a max burst for around 150 amps or so
    - 6mm bullet connector generally handle around 140 amps of continuous load and around 170 amps or a bit more. 6.5mm bullets generally handle around 150 amps of continuous load and around 180 amps or bit more. I say generally because some differ in their design or style from different makers which offer certain advantages over the other.. .for example, some have longer barrels which give you more contact area. But, I'm not going into depth about the styles or design but if you do decide to use bullet connectors decide which will be appropriate for the amp draw in your set up. . .considering your motor, esc, prop and what size (mah) batteries you will be using. . .etc. I say in your case, use the connectors that is capable of handling or delivering the maximum current demands of your setup. .so at least 6.5mm or go a bit bigger. You want to win this race then give yourself the best chance by optimizing everything in your setup. You can always go back to EC5 after the race so that your connectors are all standardize to EC5 which is a smart thing too.

I run the below 6.5 Castle connectors in my Zonda 6s per side with 180 Seakings, Leopard 4082 1600KV motors, 45mm props, and I have had no problems.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...AaAjLOEALw_wcB

I wouldn’t run ec5’s in anything over a 26” rtr plastic style boat.
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    I wouldn’t run ec5’s in anything over a 26” rtr plastic style boat.
    Did you swap them out of your Zelos 36 Twin when you got it originally? I seem to remember reading about only one melt down in the Zelos 36 mod thread .

Quote Originally Posted by 1coopgt View Post
    Did you swap them out of your Zelos 36 Twin when you got it originally? I seem to remember reading about only one melt down in the Zelos 36 mod thread .
    Yes. The reason you don’t hear much about it is I suspect most people swap them out

I ran the voracity when I was testing for proboat and they would get really hot. Too hot for my liking. Besides, if they get hot, that’s telling you something. They are too much resistance. Why stress your components like that?
    32" carbon rivercat single 4s 102mph, 27” mini Rivercat 92mph, kbb34 91mph, jessej micro cat(too fast) was

I ran EC5's on all of my mid-size Proboat stuff and they worked fine until I started getting really aggressive with props and amp draw. Then they were getting hot if I was doing anything more than just a few passes. I've since switched over to the Castle 6.5mm green connectors for those same boats. Don't think they've done anything speed wise, but the connectors run much cooler. This could also be the result of using higher quality solder and better technique than the factory.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by kfxguy View Post
    Yes. The reason you don’t hear much about it is I suspect most people swap them out

I ran the voracity when I was testing for proboat and they would get really hot. Too hot for my liking. Besides, if they get hot, that’s telling you something. They are too much resistance. Why stress your components like that?
    Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    I ran EC5's on all of my mid-size Proboat stuff and they worked fine until I started getting really aggressive with props and amp draw. Then they were getting hot if I was doing anything more than just a few passes. I've since switched over to the Castle 6.5mm green connectors for those same boats. Don't think they've done anything speed wise, but the connectors run much cooler. This could also be the result of using higher quality solder and better technique than the factory.

Thanks Guys . I'm a noob so that's why I asked. I'll keep an eye on the heat of the connections before I decide to change them out on my twin 36. Trying to learn as much as I can before the season starts up here.

EC5's are garbage. I would look at castle 6.5, XT150's, or 8mm bullets.