Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Box stock mono for p limited?

Yes, we have even considered talking with Steven to do something similar, with a heavy focus on build quality.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

I would much rather see an RTR Raider in stores than the BO boat. So much baggage with that. I actually thought about assembling Raiders and passing them through to the local hobby shop but the opportunity cost is too high for me.

Our local hobby shop is huge. One of them at least. He wants to sell Promarine but they've struggled getting them. Hopefully Mike has that sorted out now.
    Noisy person

Remove all length limitations except the 60" max.

Wallet racing Mike.
    Noisy person

Why? Wouldn't the drive limitations alone limit the ideal hull size based on power? A 40" P limited mono just won't work but why not 36"?

I’m there too. If we have cell count limits and in some cases, motor limits, why do we need hull length limits too?
    I’m with Mike. Terry please explain how this would be wallet racing.

One would not put a p lim motor in a 40” boat. I too don’t see the rationale of hull limits. I am very open to input from all on this.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

There are as many just over 34” hulls that could be run in P as there are just over 40” hulls that could be run in Q. I think it would a LOT for the growth of the hobby. Even a 3” length allowance increase would do wonders.

It was the lipo and length limit rule discussions that destroyed this forum.http://www.rumrunnerracing.com/

Unfortunately it looks like all of that information, kicking, screaming, name calling, etc. is gone. So I guess y'all can go there again if you feel it's necessary.

But, behave yourselves...Terry
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

The gas and nitro boats don’t need length limits. Why do the electrics?

Hi Jim,
    As you know gas & nitro have displacement limits. Length limits was an attempt at controlling the power a guy could put in a boat. And the sky was falling for numerous other reasons. Remember? Ofcourse whether or not they got it right depends on who you ask.
    I wonder what a P mono would look like without them?
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

And all this time I thought that voltage was the FE way to limit power.......learn something new every day.

j/k
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

[QUOTE=Fluid;735873]And all this time I thought that voltage was the FE way to limit power.......learn something new every day.

Sometimes we need a like button!

Way down here in NZ our rules have minimum boat lengths, 24" for P. The current limiting factor is 6000 mah, sort of like a restricted fuel tank. The idea was to keep the classes from becoming advantageous to those with plenty of money so that newbies could race on a limited budget and still have competitive boats.

The lack of interest due to the 'glamour' of big loud gassers has been the most limiting factor in growth of FE overall, or is it some crappy attitudes that exist...?

I digress. We have several P monos in our club, two of us are running DF 35 Pirates, a couple of HK outer limits, a Sonicwake and I have a Pursuit begging for a new owner to race it. Apart from myself everyone else is running gassers. Overall membership numbers are low which is also tough to grow things. A decent out of the box offering, like the previous ones from Proboat and the likes of the Pursuit etc from HK would help. Even in our club it is recognised that something like an off the shelf P mono is the most cost effective and best way to get people started in racing, there is just nothing there. I would be more than happy to help someone build up a boat, however advice is rarely listened to, people think they know enough and tend to screw it up and give up.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Limited is it's own animal.

The proof that we needed length limits happened when we started seeing 33" N2 offshore boats. We realized where the guys with wallets were going to go.

Pick a different class. How about P mono? You could build realistically a P mono at around 42". This boat will require more power than a 34" mono. Pretty obvious. Actual HP will need to be more. So lets say that boat uses 4s, carries maybe 15,000mah, and run on an 800amp MGM. Cheap setup right? Would that be good for P mono or bad for P mono? Would that increase participation or place P mono out of reach for most racers?

You guys comparing FE to gas is like comparing apples to cinder blocks. A gas motor's power is limited by it's displacement. There are little tweaks to get more power but there is a maximum horsepower they can expect. With FE....... the real power is the voltage times the number of amps. That translates to horsepower. More importantly though it's volts times the amperage that you are willing to pull. Picture two guys trying to race the same class. The guy with the average pockets is willing to pull out "X" number of amps. He can't afford to risk more. He's choosing a boat based on his wallets threshold. Guy with deep pockets has no threshold. He's buying the 42" beast that pulls 600 amps without breaking a sweat. The 34" mono guy......no shot. He quits because he can't afford to compete at that level. Explosion in participation? Before you say there is nothing stopping deep wallet guy from throwing 600 amps in a 34" in mono................of course there is. 34" of boat.

See why I call it wallet racing? The deeper pocket wins without the length limit.
    Noisy person

Terry
    Does the max mah capacity level the field? A big 600A guzzler will not run long enough on a limited battery capacity (you have a 10000 mah limit don't you?) to finish a race will it?
    One of the reasons down here we set the 6000 mah limit, because we have minimum boat lengths. A bigger boat will handle rougher water, but it limits how much power there is available, i.e. the size of the fuel tank. Ultimately it was to stop the excessive spending and keep things affordable and competitive.
    I absolutely get what you say about wallet racing, or chequebook racing. I have seen it with gassers, there is also an arrogance that goes with it.

Namba has mah limits that have never been checked at an event that I'm aware of. Other than reading the label. There are likely only 3 people that race Namba that would even know how to verify it. The likelyhood of a contest director having the equipment to check it is near zero. They do check voltage though.

Impba has no mah limits.
    Noisy person

This thread is getting interesting but way off topic. I will start a new one where we can talk more about length and battery limits which few understand. The future for possible FE class rules.
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

Quote Originally Posted by HTVboats View Post
    I will start a new one where we can talk more about length and battery limits which few understand.
    Mic
    Wow Mic, seriously?? Talk down much?? There are many veterans here..
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Out of the box for FE class rules ? Not interested and FE rules depend of the country ...

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smock View Post
    Well Doug I am just a rookie here. Not sure 40 years in this hobby means anything I guess. Sorry to offend you. I was trying to move a discussion that had gotten away from P ltd. Guess I should just shut up and not challenge anything.
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

Quote Originally Posted by Alfa Spirit View Post
    Out of the box for FE class rules ? Not interested and FE rules depend of the country ...
    Do you even race?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smock View Post
    I don't want to try and upset anyone, but my own experience is that sometimes some of those who have done this a long time arrogantly refuse to listen to those newer in the hobby. I understand that things have been tried and failed in the past, but it is about looking to the future of the hobby with optimism. I find some want to try and recreate past glories instead of building new ones. I do however respect the experience of the long time seasoned racers, some of whom have made all the mistakes we can learn from and have a heap of great advice.

LOL You didn't offend me Mic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12