Thread: Looking for props to give low end bite.

Default Looking for props to give low end bite.

Hi guys,
    Don’t care about top speed. My kids and I use this boat for play. We only go up to 1/2 or 3/4 throttle.The stock props cavacate and by the time they bite we’re turning around cause we run on small pond. I like a prop that will jump on plane and not cavacate and run nice at 1/2 speed. Again don’t care how fast it goes. My guess with what I want is that the boat can over heat if run to hard with low end props. Any other issue to look for.
    If you tried props that do this please advise. Thx

Size of the boat, and motor/battery combo would greatly help... that said, a 3 blade prop will usually pop out of the hole faster than a 2 blade...

As already mentioned, we need more info about your boat and the prop you're using now. Props that are too small or that are spun too fast will often cavitate. Strut position can be a factor, blade tongue shape, the list goes on
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

ProBoat Zelos 36 Catamaran Q & A, his original question was posted here. Based on the first post, I think it's stock.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieM41 View Post
    ProBoat Zelos 36 Catamaran Q & A, his original question was posted here. Based on the first post, I think it's stock.
    Good point, I missed the forum title where this was posted.

With that said, I find the stock style Octura props bite better from a dead stop because they have more tongue on them. Half throttle will generate some heat in the esc's, so be careful. For that reason, I would stick with the 42mm stock sized props and have them sharpened and balanced. You could go with a larger diameter to reduce cavitation, but that will make the half throttle heat situation worse. Another option would be a 3 blade prop. I don't have first hand experience with 3-blades on this boat for slower speeds, so best to ask someone like Chris Hoffmann (Dasboata) for advice on size. Not as easy to find counter rotating pairs of 3 blade props either.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)