Thread: Anyone using a NiMH battery?

Default Anyone using a NiMH battery?

It's a little involved why, but I'm thinking of getting a couple of these also. I know the pros and cons, but how will they run in the Sonicwake? Thanks

https://www.horizonhobby.com/cars-an...conn-dyn1091ec

I do, in one of my transmitters.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

You can try them but I think your Sonicwake would be very slow maybe not even fast enough to get on plane because you would be running 16.8 volts instead of 22.2 volts from say a 6s Lipo. If you do use NiMH batteries make sure you set the switch on the ESC for that type of battery chemistry. Also this is a 36" boat that draws a lot of amps. I just don't think NiMH batteries would be up to the task.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt'n Crash View Post
    You can try them but I think your Sonicwake would be very slow maybe not even fast enough to get on plane because you would be running 16.8 volts instead of 22.2 volts from say a 6s Lipo. If you do use NiMH batteries make sure you set the switch on the ESC for that type of battery chemistry. Also this is a 36" boat that draws a lot of amps. I just don't think NiMH batteries would be up to the task.
    Thanks. I spoke with venom. I'm going to stick with lipos. Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    I do, in one of my transmitters.
    I do, in all my transmitters - run all summer long.

Charge them at 160ma, take's overnight - fast charging kills NiMH batts - those, 7.2v flat or 8.4v hump packs for RC models.

Oh yeah, still have a bunch of 8.4v hump packs - not really sure what to do with them...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    AQ MiniMono - CopterX 430XL 3550kv BL Outrunner + Seaking(V2) 35A on 2S VERY Fast
    Pro Boat SW26v3 - 2860-2600kv + Seaking(V2) 90A on 3S, Build in Progress
    Pro Boat Stealthwake 23 - Stock For Now - Brushless Down The Road

RCBoaterGuy,
    I use those same AA all over my house. I have gotten a decade of uses out of them. I also like the Sanyo Eneloop. They are built like a tank.
    They all need to go through the refresh cycle every year if they don't get used often.
    So, make sure your charger has a refresh cycle in them to bring the capacity back up.
    Cheetah, Super Rio, (Mod) Starship (Mod and sold),