Thread: Hoping for a little help.

Default Hoping for a little help.

I picked up 1716 Props for my TWIN 36 . I know the manual says to start at 4mm for strut angle. But that is for stock props. Can anyone suggest a good strut angle for the the 1716 Props that will hopefully keep me from flipping the boat but still go fast? Thanks in advance.

Coop

Depends on where you run your batteries, but more than likely, you'll run the struts with more negative trim than with stock props. The ABC props create less lift at the rear of the boat than the Octura style stock props, so all things equal, just switching to the ABCs will result in a hull attitude that wants to blow over at speed easier. Measuring from your straight edge along the rear two ride pads to the flat strut surface, you'll want to adjust the struts up closer to the straight edge, by at least 1-1.5mm. Try that out and adjust from there. You can't take exact strut measurements as gospel from other owners because I've seen a decent amount of variation in mounting height of the struts on the back of the sponsons on different boats from the factoey, which will ultimately affect the measured distance between the strut and your straight edge ruler.

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Depends on where you run your batteries, but more than likely, you'll run the struts with more negative trim than with stock props. The ABC props create less lift at the rear of the boat than the Octura style stock props, so all things equal, just switching to the ABCs will result in a hull attitude that wants to blow over at speed easier. Measuring from your straight edge along the rear two ride pads to the flat strut surface, you'll want to adjust the struts up closer to the straight edge, by at least 1-1.5mm. Try that out and adjust from there. You can't take exact strut measurements as gospel from other owners because I've seen a decent amount of variation in mounting height of the struts on the back of the sponsons on different boats from the factoey, which will ultimately affect the measured distance between the strut and your straight edge ruler.

Thanks for the reply . When I am finally able to get this out I'll start out at 1mm down angle and see how it goes. I made a gauge out of Aluminum bar stock and a 10-32 cap screw and a couple of nuts to lock it in place . Should make adjustments a little easier .