Thread: February meeting minutes

Default February meeting minutes

Sorry fellas. Been distracted with life of late.

Minutes attached.

We do have a club email too. mmeuracing@gmail.com

MMEU 2-22-19 minutes.pdf
    Noisy person

This is not me writing this -

I don't want to p-off the latest-thinking P-Ltd motor evolutionaries BUT I agree with your Club sticking with 58mm motors that commonly come with RtR offerings.

Barney "Turnfin" Feffelscraper
    Last edited by properchopper; 03-24-2019 at 02:49 PM.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    This is not me writing this -

I don't want to p-off the latest-thinking P-Ltd motor evolutionaries BUT I agree with your Club sticking with 58mm motors that commonly come with RtR offerings.

Barney "Turnfin" Feffelscraper
    Where’s the like button!

We had a very un-heated (at all, zero tantrums of any kind, from anybody, I swear) discussion about this. We've tried a bunch of different motors. Even some custom fabricated stuff. Those didn't put you on the podium. The consensus was that there aren't any 60mm motors that were real contenders.

The point I kept missing when discussing a 60mm limit previously was that there "could" be in the future. When we were at 60mm we all conceded that 62mm was a different animal. Despite nobody racing them we all accepted that 2 measly mm from 60 up to 62 was going to be next level. Why couldn't 2 measly mm from 58 up to 60 be significantly better? The answer is that obviously it "could" be. Just hasn't been made yet. Take the tech inside a Proboat 1500 or 2k and push it out to 60mm. Same animal? Probably not.

The vast majority of successful boats that we've seen had motors well under 60mm. 58mm gave us a little fudge factor. It would give us (MMEU) a cushion for manufacturing hiccups but was close to what was being actually raced successfully at national level events and at the club level. Is 58 right? Who knows? We're still learning. Same was true when the original NAMBA limited rule set was adopted. Educated guesswork. I do know that our guys aren't arguing about it at all so that's a good sign.
    Noisy person

Again, This isn't Me speaking (I have friends on both sides of the road-('er lake) and don't want to alienate any of them) nor wish to add to the Outdoor Olympic "Most Talked About Topic" kerfuffeling

BUT

Frankly my first ranking in Ltd racing preference is the low cost availability of power plants & yup I, like many of us have a pile of previously OK motors.

Of course the "as manufactured" codicil hasn't been re-introduced so that leaves the door open for some "experimentation"

I now have two very interestingly re-kaddidled 36/58 motors on the bench waiting to be tested

Tex "Big Rudder" Chisolm
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    I now have two very interestingly re-kaddidled 36/58 motors on the bench waiting to be tested
    Me too. Burnt to a crisp.

I know you've heard this multiple times Tony. It's an old discussion but for our club members that weren't privy to the history........the trouble with "as manufactured" was teching it. Without completely disassembling and in some cases destroying the motor you couldn't know if it was right. So it wasn't done. Teching was basically look at the motor. Looks right. That's one of the myriad of problems we had with the original rule set. I'm not suggesting we had cheaters. I doubt we did. Just saying we wouldn't have known if we did. It allowed others to point fingers and make unfounded accusations.
    Noisy person