Thread: Lipo ???

Default Lipo , Nicd, NiMH ???

Well I just started getting into the RC hobby again after years of having cars and trucks. I just purchased a sonicwake boat with two 3s LiPO batteries. My plan was to keep the RC boat on my real boat if I ever wanted to play with it, I would have it with me. Now after reading about LiPO batteries and how to store them I'm not sure if I want to keep them on my boat when I'm not around, even in the storage box. Now my question is can I use a different type of battery just to play around and keep on my boat while still using the Lipo when I'm not. I understand they may not be as fast or efficient. Is there something I can use in place of them? Or am I worrying too much..
    Last edited by mnm99; 03-19-2019 at 05:25 PM.

You may be worrying too much. I have not had a lipo self destruct in several years of using them. Not that it doesn't happen, but for the amount of lipos out there and the use they have, it doesn't happen often. Yes there are plenty of scary stories out there if you look for them.
    However, if you do not over discharge and always balance charge then put them away after storage charging the risks are greatly reduced. I would suggest that you take your batteries and charger home with you, and keep the batteries in a suitable container. After all they are not a great deal to carry off your boat.
    Worry less, do things sensibly, and have fun playing around with your boat!
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter A View Post
    You may be worrying too much. I have not had a lipo self destruct in several years of using them. Not that it doesn't happen, but for the amount of lipos out there and the use they have, it doesn't happen often. Yes there are plenty of scary stories out there if you look for them.
    However, if you do not over discharge and always balance charge then put them away after storage charging the risks are greatly reduced. I would suggest that you take your batteries and charger home with you, and keep the batteries in a suitable container. After all they are not a great deal to carry off your boat.
    Worry less, do things sensibly, and have fun playing around with your boat!
    Yea, I may be.i go to my boat every day. I never know when it's going to be calm. That's why it would be nice to leave them there. Thanks