Thread: Shaft seal / Stuffing tube?

Default Shaft seal / Stuffing tube?

I know it's been said 1000 times, and I've read with or without for hours. My question is with the shaft seal. What would be the best option for running in salt water? I found this and was wondering if it would be better/easier for me. Pros and cons?

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...d=aero-sts-125

I wonder if it works any better than the usual piece of silicone or heat shrink tube over the end of the stuffing tube.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Best seal for keeping water out - grease.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

The problem(s) I found when I was sent the shaft seal to evaluate are : (and this would assume that your shaft gets removed for drying and re-lubing after each immersion - especially in your case with salt water)

To release the shaft for maintenance and then re-install it you must loosen, then re-tighten the hex set (grub) screw. First off, anyone with experience with these pesky little critters will tell you that they will ultimately strip (or if left with salt water on them) become impossible to release, making your shaft a permanent fixture on your boat. You don't want that to happen.

Secondly, if you do the right thing and pull your shaft after each use and somehow avoid kerfuffling the hex, remember that each time you re-tighten it you are eating yet another indentation in your flex. Eventually it will weaken and break from being chewed on.

Here's my recommendation :

Pull the flex after each run
    Flog it on a hard surface to expel any saltwater that permeated the coils (the gas guys beat their .250 cables mercifully - I see this all the time)

squirt some WD40 on it to chase any residual moisture, smear with grease and wrap in paper towel and store for future use

I use a mixture of Harley Synthetic 20-50W thinned by Marvel Mystery Oil to lube before a race - your choice may vary

Like Peter said, shove some grease into the stuffing tube after storing the wrapped up shaft to minimize water intrusion

I use this, just perfect for that:

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...od=hh-dyne4200

(remember to flush your cooling lines too !)
    Last edited by properchopper; 03-20-2019 at 01:34 PM.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Well, I got the Sonicwake today. I pulled the shaft out and there's no sleeve. Or is there?? I going to use extreme grease from my real boat.

https://www.marineengineparts.com/me...se-8-oz-bottle
    Last edited by mnm99; 03-20-2019 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mnm99 View Post
    Well, I got the Sonicwake today. I pulled the shaft out and there's no sleeve. Or is there?? I going to use extreme grease from my real boat.

https://www.marineengineparts.com/me...se-8-oz-bottle
    There should be a liner in there...mine had one... And yeah...extreme grease should work fine....... like you...i use it on my mercruiser out drive.....

Quote Originally Posted by 30nitro View Post
    There should be a liner in there...mine had one... And yeah...extreme grease should work fine....... like you...i use it on my mercruiser out drive.....
    I use to on my Mercruiser. I now have twin 496 Big block V-drives...LOL....