Thread: Upgrading props?

Default Upgrading props?

Okay, I haven't even gotten my first boat yet (it's in the mail) and I want to get a prop ready to swap. I have a Sonicwake that is supposed to do 50+ with a prop change like 70mph. I will be running 6S. The current prop says" Propeller Size: 1.6x1.73" What would be the next upgrade from that? 1.97? 2.17? 2.24? ect..Thanks

I do that prop we call it a supper sonic prop it's a $70 3 blade race prop PM me if interested

Thanks. I'd like to stay with a 2 blade prop though. Convince me otherwise...if I go by the theory of real boats, 3 blades will get you out of the hole and better handling. They dont give much more speed and put a bigger load on the motor. That creates more heat. Am I wrong?

Chris (Dasboata) has forgotten more about props than most of the rest of us will know. The prop he's suggesting is the fastest piece of hardware for the stock Sonicwake. There is no other convincing necessary. However, if running the boat at its absolute fastest possible speed sacrificing some overall stability and run time is not what you're after, I'm sure he can easily recommend a slightly less aggressive prop for that boat as well. That's what he does.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Thanks. I'd like to keep run time up a little as well as stability. Maybe something a little above stock.

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Chris (Dasboata) has forgotten more about props than most of the rest of us will know. The prop he's suggesting is the fastest piece of hardware for the stock Sonicwake. There is no other convincing necessary. However, if running the boat at its absolute fastest possible speed sacrificing some overall stability and run time is not what you're after, I'm sure he can easily recommend a slightly less aggressive prop for that boat as well. That's what he does.
    Thanks Ryan my general rule is 3 blades for monos and 2 blades for cats

Based on that recommendation from Chris, I found that I was able to tame a V-bottom boat suffering from torque roll (hull rolls to the right caused by a large prop) after switching from a 2 blade prop to a smaller diameter 3 blade prop.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Thanks. I'd like to keep run time up a little as well as stability. Maybe something a little above stock.

I'll pm you about a prop. Thanks

...I'd like to stay with a 2 blade prop though. Convince me otherwise...if I go by the theory of real boats, 3 blades will get you out of the hole and better handling. They dont give much more speed and put a bigger load on the motor. That creates more heat. Am I wrong?
    The fastest R/C boat in the world (~205 mph pass) ran a 3-blade prop. It pulls mucho amps, peaking over 500 amps if I recall what Joerg told me correctly. Use the prop which works best, however many blades it has. Don’t limit yourself to “full scale” theory. That said, IIRC the fastest prop-driven full-scale boat (Miss Budweiser) ran a 3-blade prop to set the kilo record at 220 mph.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

A current drag boat (top fuel hydro) will go from zero to 270mph in 1000 feet. They are running 2, 2 blade props. I have seen a few people run a single 3 blade prop, and it seems to get way to much "bite" out of the hole, and that upsets everything. Props seem to be a science on any boat.