Thread: Additional cap packs for ESC

Default Additional cap packs for ESC

Dear All,
    I recently bought a Dynamite 160A 4-8S Brushless Waterproof Marine ESC (DYNM3880) and wanted to hear if you have any recommendations in regards to the addition of potential capacitor banks in front of the battery for this season?
    I am using the ESC in my TFL Pursuit, with a 4082 1450KV motor running 8s batteries (2x 3Ah Turnigy Graphene Panther 4s in series).

I can see that the ESC has 3x Rubycon 35V 1000uf ZLH capacitors on the PCB right at where the DC input is - would it make sense to add some more?

- My goal is to increase longevity and performance

Looking forward for some good inputs on this topic. :)

Cheers

Kv is very high for 8S. What is the purpose of the build, zip/zip runs, oval racing, general sport running? A 160 amp controller is marginal if you overprop even slightly. The battery capacity is low for such a setup, what is the “C” rating on the celks? Caps can help longevity but they can’t compensate for a poor setup. Zero measurable performance advantage.
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

8s on 1450kv is nothing crazy? People are running 2200kv on 6s which is much greater rpm... ?
    I am using 75C Graphene Panther batteries, which should be the best a man can get.
    160A on 8s is a huge amount of power, i dont understand why you say it is too little. I believe the motor is rated at max 100amps since it is made to be running such high voltage. 100amps on 8s is 2960watts btw.

The setup is supposed to be used for speed runs and sport running. :)

Cheers

A little math
    4.2V*8*1450 = 48720 RPM. a bit hot. Most systems don't like more than 39000 RPM.
    The prop is what determines the load on a system. The ratings is what they can handle, not what they will deliver.
    With only 160A available in the ESC, you run the risk of smoking it with too big of a propeller.

As for Cap banks, read this
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...light=cap+bank
    Cheetah, Super Rio, (Mod) Starship (Mod and sold),

In a boat you can probably draw double the amperage in spikes than the max rated amp draw stated by the manufacturer.

I'll take a punt that you are possibly using a Turnigy 4082 - 1450 kv motor.

I am using the Turnigy 4082 yes :) what size prop will smoke it then? And what size ESC/MOTOR would you recommend then?
    I do appreciate your concern, but the question regarding cap banks are yet to remain...? Also, what about 35V caps when using 8s, the Dynamite esc has 35V caps installed, but is rated for 8s which is kinda close...?

Cheers

Btw, i did do a 60+mph run with a 42mm prop and the esc was not even warm to the touch.

You ask for help - then argue with those who try to give you advice......

Please see post #2 for the answer to your question.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Don't complain when it goes poof. BTW. Thats a lot of RPM stress on the drive line even if the electronics don't smoke. Do you run teflon? If you do its a bitch to get out when it twists and melts at 50K....Let us know how it works out.

Such a positive vibe you guys are bringing :)

I had no idea 50k RPM would be that big of a deal, but I will let you know how my system performes over the next few months, or, if according to you, the kaboom experiece i will shortly encounter. 😂🔥

Thanks for your inputs, you can look forward to some YT links with a burning pursuit filled with twisted and melted teflon (the answer to your question is yes). :P

Cheers fellas

Quote Originally Posted by emilwilkens View Post
    Such a positive vibe you guys are bringing :)

I had no idea 50k RPM would be that big of a deal, but I will let you know how my system performes over the next few months, or, if according to you, the kaboom experiece i will shortly encounter.

Thanks for your inputs, you can look forward to some YT links with a burning pursuit filled with twisted and melted teflon (the answer to your question is yes). :P

Cheers fellas
    My advice would be to change the caps to 50v for 8s, 35v is just too close for my liking, the extra caps I would use Rubicon 50v540Uf ZLH, use between 6 and 9 caps.

The esc I’m my experience is too low in amp rating for the motor and voltage, too keep the esc from burning up keep the prop small and measure temps on each run before going up in size on the props.

My advice would be to run a minimum of 200amp esc, the SF200 8s is a good esc or for more money the MGM25035-3 lite is a great esc.

50k is serious rpm for a mono, your setup will pull 43k rpm loaded, i rum 50k rpm is straight line SAW boats.

Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On cap banks, you should read this:
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...emptive-answer
    Cheetah, Super Rio, (Mod) Starship (Mod and sold),

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBryant View Post
    My advice would be to change the caps to 50v for 8s, 35v is just too close for my liking, the extra caps I would use Rubicon 50v540Uf ZLH, use between 6 and 9 caps.

The esc I’m my experience is too low in amp rating for the motor and voltage, too keep the esc from burning up keep the prop small and measure temps on each run before going up in size on the props.

My advice would be to run a minimum of 200amp esc, the SF200 8s is a good esc or for more money the MGM25035-3 lite is a great esc.

50k is serious rpm for a mono, your setup will pull 43k rpm loaded, i rum 50k rpm is straight line SAW boats.

Good luck

Thanks for the afvise! I Will definately consider buying one of those two if this build ends up all wrong. I just cant get my head around people running High KV TP motors if this is a drive train limitation :)

Those ecs’s you mention does carry a heftig Price tag, do they support forward and reverse operation ? I really enjoy the flexibility of beeing able to reverse if/when needed.

I have bought 50V caps to replace on the Dynamite if they end up looking toasty.

Thanks for beeing critical in a contructive way.

🙏🏼 Happy boating

Thanks for the afvise! I Will definately consider buying one of those two if this build ends up all wrong. I just cant get my head around people running High KV TP motors if this is a drive train limitation :)

Those ecs’s you mention does carry a heftig Price tag, do they support forward and reverse operation ? I really enjoy the flexibility of beeing able to reverse if/when needed.

I have bought 50V caps to replace on the Dynamite if they end up looking toasty.

Thanks for beeing critical in a contructive way.

Happy boating
    I run Teflon on 1/4 inch flexi upto 50k rpm without issues, just make sure you use a light oil and not grease on the flexi. The drive train will not be a problem if you set it up properly.

The esc are not cheap, but remember you are pushing you power system to the limit and you need quality not cheap Chinese esc.

My SAW boats are running schulze and MGM speedos because they are reliable and can handle the power

Also you batteries do not have enough capacity for what you are doing, the Graphene pack for Turnigy are not as good as they say... I use SLS Quantum cells

Remember, he is only pushing a 34" hull on 8S. It's high for 8S and the caps are rated low. I don't think all the caps can be changed so the lower voltage ones on board will be a weak link.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBryant View Post
    Also you batteries do not have enough capacity for what you are doing, the Graphene pack for Turnigy are not as good as they say... I use SLS Quantum cells

Any specific data behind why there so good those SLS once? :)
    So far i have been very inprrssed with my Graphene packs. I also have some Gens Ace Bashing 5,2ah, they keep LVC on the esc... :-/

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    Remember, he is only pushing a 34" hull on 8S. It's high for 8S and the caps are rated low. I don't think all the caps can be changed so the lower voltage ones on board will be a weak link.
    I am not sure i quite understand what you mean sir. Can you ellaborate?

Cheers bud

This was posted on Facebook by a reputable Hobby Shop in the UK

An interesting email we had in the shop today from a Chinese car Lipo battery supplier. This obviously applies to other Lipos used in multicopters etc as well.

"Now that RC has moved on to LiPo packs, it seems that marketing has created a lot of confusion and many customers who use LiPos get taken advantage of by marketing gimmicks such as Graphene . We are frequently asked when GPR will have so called Graphene packs , this made us realize that the marketing behind these packs works well as customers want to believe that there is something better available.We decided to purchase various packs from various companies and test them in a way that shows the pack’s data and performance for everyone to see.

Our thoughts on Graphene are as follows. Graphene is supposed to increase the cell’s energy density and performance. All the so-called Graphene packs I tested to date have cells that are the same size and mAh as cells from a few years ago. If Graphene truly was used in these packs we would see an increase in mAh or the same mAh and a smaller size cell/pack, which isn’t the case. If you read up on LiPo studies and what is going on with LiPo technology there are only a few LiPo cells on the market that have Graphene, they just recently came out and based on the size, we tend to believe that they might have Graphene in them but these aren’t RC cells/packs. Samsung, a world leader in smartphones, has millions of dollars invested in battery technology to try and improve the cells they put in their phones. They recently announced that they finally found a way to use Graphene that made for a better cell. If a company like Samsung just figured out how to use Graphene to make better cells what are the chances that RC LiPo factories figured this out close to 2 years ago? In my testing of the Turnigy Graphene RC car hardcase packs I noticed they gave the same data and performance as the Turnigy Ultimate hardcase car packs.Once again this confirms our theory that there is no Graphene used in RC car cells/packs."

Any specific data behind why there so good those SLS once? :)
    So far i have been very inprrssed with my Graphene packs. I also have some Gens Ace Bashing 5,2ah, they keep LVC on the esc... :-/
    As far SLS cells are concerned please look on there website there are links to website that need translating but are very informative. SLS have an excellent reputation in Europe with the fastest boats around me all using them.