Thread: Zonda?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Zonda?

I'm looking at buying my first RC boat. I'm 48 and own a real boat. I'd like to have something to play with out on the water. I have owned RC cars before so know a little about how it all works and could figure stuff out if I needed to. SO I ran across this ZONDA boat that is slightly used. The owner says he owns gas boats and really doesn't know much about electric. He couldn't get the speed controls in sync?? I will know more later, but he said he upgraded the motors to the Traxxas Spartans and added 180 controllers. I'll find out the controllers later. Asking $475. Needs radio, batt, survo and charger. Any suggestions? I'm thinking I would save a bunch going with something like the ProBoat Zelos 36 Twin Catamaran BL RTR. I really like the idea of twin motors. Thanks
    Last edited by mnm99; 03-15-2019 at 10:30 AM.

I am looking for a twin motor cat myself, and the Zonda looks very attractive. They can be found through various sites in fibreglass for about the same as what you have been offered, just new.
    I would go with a zonda over something like a Zelos only because i like the more hobby-ish feel of the TFL boats.

Both are great, but think you will enjoy the zonda more if you dont mind getting your hands dirty in the long run

Cheers

You can get a new Zonda twin online for about $600. $475 is an okay deal , but keep in mind, you're also inheriting someone else's problems, so buyer beware. Of the two boats mentioned here so far, I'd lean towards the Zelos as the better RTR option for an experienced RC hobbyist looking to get into boats. It's wider, which makes it more stable in the turns. The Zonda is a longer hull, but narrower. It can be a faster boat, but less stable turning, in my experience. Promarine out of Indy makes some really good single and dual motor 34" cats in both a Skater and MTI style hull. Promarine's customer service is also excellent. Definitely worth taking a look.

Self-righting is always something to consider for someone new to boats and whether their frustration limits demand that or not is a personal choice. You mention you own a ful size boat, so going after a flipped toy boat may not be a problem fro you. I have not run one personally, but many people are enjoying the new Proboat Sonicwake which is a self-righting V bottom.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Is it the CF or fiberglass one? Either way with the 180amp esc's seems like a deal (other than shape of the hull, split seams) Not sure on the motors though. As far as I'm concerned the Zonda is a bit more stable (length and width, best for newbe's) for the speeds that can be achieved (80-100mph). Also, all the boats mentioned should be reinforced (do a search on this site) Blow overs are deadly on hulls. Any way you look at it you will need the batt's, charger. Not sure with what all you get with Zelos. It all depends on if you like to work on hobby's as well. Make an offer on the Zonda if you would like to do some nice updates (maybe a bit of repair) at or around half the price of new. Or buy a new Zelos, batt's, charger and just have fun. But, just having fun is going to lead to "can I go faster" then your hooked. My opinion: go with the Zonda, do research and make it do what you want to do. New is nice, but wont be new or nice for long.

Boats are just glorified floating Clorox bottles that you pour money into.

Well I got some more info on the Zonda. I think I'm gonna pass. No info on the controls, has some corrosion and the front is chipped. Just another thought..What about a V bottom self right? I really want a dual motor, but stable also that I won't have to get if it flips. I want something 36" or bigger. Ideas? Thanks

You don’t find many hobby grade boats with self right feature, and especially not with a dual motor setup (i know of exactly non).
    If you are hooked on dual boat setups, the only route is going with a Cat IMO.

If you like to look into v-hulls instead, the self righting Sonic Wake is a good option, but if you want fiberglass and maybe some more options for going even faster (60+mph) then maybe look into something like a 1126 TFL Outerlimits. They can be had for less than 300usd brand new, with only servo, reciever and batteries to be installed.

Lets hear what you end up going with.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by emilwilkens View Post
    You don’t find many hobby grade boats with self right feature, and especially not with a dual motor setup (i know of exactly non).
    If you are hooked on dual boat setups, the only route is going with a Cat IMO.

If you like to look into v-hulls instead, the self righting Sonic Wake is a good option, but if you want fiberglass and maybe some more options for going even faster (60+mph) then maybe look into something like a 1126 TFL Outerlimits. They can be had for less than 300usd brand new, with only servo, reciever and batteries to be installed.

Lets hear what you end up going with.

Cheers
    No problem. I started another thread. Hope you guys can set me up good. Thanks
    Last edited by mnm99; 03-16-2019 at 11:22 AM.